Author Topic: OEM exhaust pipe hangers  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
OEM exhaust pipe hangers
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
Hi:
Does anyone know if there is an illustration of what the OEM exhaust pipe layout is for a 76 C-20 with 350 4-bbl? I have some brackets laying around that look like OEM hangers and I have some unused brackets riveted to the frame. The last time I had some pipes and mufflers installed they used these generic wire rod hangers that are welded to the pipes and they look cheesy and I want to go back to the OEM hangers. The brackets I have laying around look OEM and they have rubber isolators and saddle clamps as part of the design...I just cant figure out where they all go and what the configuration should look like. I have the 74 and 76 service/overhaul manuals and they have nothing concerning the exhaust system.
Any help would be appreciated,
Henry

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: OEM exhaust pipe hangers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »
I have never figured out why the service manual has almost zero information on the exhaust system.  However, if you can find an old exhaust parts manual from one of the manufacturers, many of them have much more information on the exhaust layout and brackets.   I haven't seen a physical parts supplier book in many years,  but many stores used to have them, and maybe someone has scanned them in. 

Bruce

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:38 PM »
Hi GMC:
Thanks for the response...after my initial post I did scan the internet and came across this company called Walker Exhaust Systems that did have a diagram  for the exhaust on my year and model...they show that my truck originally came with a Y-pipe, single exhaust pipe, muffler, and tailpipe running down the drivers side exiting behind the driver side rear wheel. I think they may be correct because I have two frame-riveted hangers on the drivers side that are unused and none on the passenger side. (My duals right now use all these little welded on wire hangers). Walker diagram shows that their pipe arrangement is attached with two hangers at approx same location as mine are. I am waiting on the old timers at my local muffler shop to see if they can find anything in their old catalogs.
Regards,
Henry

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Henry

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:08:28 PM »
Hi All:
I have purchased a CD that has all the old GM parts books and illustration books and I still cannot find any pictures of the exhaust pipes and hangers for the 73-87 series of trucks. So I am going to go out on a limb and say illustrations from GM dont exist for the trucks from 1973-79. The parts books do have tables of parts lists and part numbers for all the exhaust parts though.

My saga of looking for the correct hangers for my truck is over...I have gone junkyarding and found some trucks that had the original hangers and I bought them...they are rusty but the metal is so thick and well made they will clean up and the rubber is still good after all this time. See attached photo of what the correct oem forward and rear hangers look like for a longbed C-10, C-20 small block V8 with single exhaust. Big blocks that came with dual exhaust had same looking hangers on passenger side.

Regards,
Henry