Author Topic: Father to a new (to me) 1987 K10  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Kenamond

• New Users
Father to a new (to me) 1987 K10
« on: October 26, 2017, 01:01:24 AM »
Hello all, I’m Mack.
Had a 1974 Ford F100 running on 5 of 8 cylinders but hauled to the dump and even hauled 1/2 ton of brick at one point. X-wife sold it years ago.
Been wanting another truck for years.  Hauler, hunting/scouting truck and something to wrench on.
This summer after searching for 2 years I got a nice 1/2 ton 1987 K10 Custom Deluxe full size Fleetside (seem to be called something other than K10 after 1986).
Rebuilt 350, new clutch, radiator, Flomaster exhaust, windshield, wheels, 35” rims, manual locking front hubs, and 6” lift.
It’s a southwest truck so interior and paint were toast but it looks new underneath.  Bed floor is rusted and rear wheel wells are bashed up, but she’s got all new/rebuilt major mechanicals.  Exactly what I was looking for!
Spending spree on the interweb and got interior parts (sound and heat insulation, carpet, door cards, dash, seat apholstery, rearview mirror, sun visors, seat belts), and side mirrors (driver’s side wouldn’t stay put).
Wanna teach my kids (15yr old daughter and 13yr old son) about auto mechanics a bit, how to turn a wrench, and the value of a tired back and bloody knuckles.  If my son plays ball, it’ll be his.
Daughter and I pulled the front parking brake cable (current mystery...too long but not due to stretch).  This past weekend we replaced the side mirrors and sun visors and I pulled/disassembled/cleaned the instrument cluster.  Lens piece and front panel weren’t up to snuff, so I ordered new repro parts which arrived today and my son and I installed tonight.  Battled connecting the speedo cable and getting the cluster into the dash.  Missing a dash screw...only one!
My daughter and I named this masterpiece-in-the-making “Truck Norris”.
I love vehicle-specific forums.  Became a “wiseman” for my other baby (1997 Eagle Talon) after I blew the turbo and started wrenching on it.  For this truck, though, I’m a newbie...but not for long (hope).

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Father to a new (to me) 1987 K10
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 10:12:24 AM »
Welcome from Kingman, AZ!!!
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/