Author Topic: 84 K-10 Starter Issue  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Rickiv

• Novice
84 K-10 Starter Issue
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Hey ya'll,
I've got an 84 K-10 with a crate 350. I replaced the starter 15 days ago. 4 days ago though I went to start it and the starter stayed engaged after it started. I immediately turned it off, but it stayed engaged for about 30 seconds. Took the starter off, got it tested, they said it was fine. Asked them what else it could be and they said the starter relay. I've been searching the internet for over two hours trying to find where the starter relay is in this truck and I can't find anything. I don't know what else to do now. There are no bare wires, no broken wires, nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. It's my daily driver.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 84 K-10 Starter Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 04:26:27 PM »
You didn't find a starter relay, because there isn't one.  GM didn't use them.  Why did you replace the original starter?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Rickiv

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
Thank you. I didn't think there was even before I started searching for the relay. The old starter just crapped out on me. it was the cheapest one I could find when I originally put it on a couple years ago. I was broke at the time.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:11:29 PM »
The points in the solenoid may have temporarily welded together causing runaway cranking.  Stuck points generally follows labored cranking due to a weak or undercharged battery or poor cable connections.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline Rickiv

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »
Is there any way of knowing this? Just remembered my brother did drive it the other day and left the lights on killing the battery.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 07:09:21 PM »
There is no check that's reliable unless the problem becomes consistent.  Carry a wrench to disconnect the battery ground cable if the problem recurs.  If it does, return the starter under warranty.
Rich

Offline Rickiv

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 11:48:40 PM »
That's what I figured I'd have to do. Thank you for your help and advice, sir!