Author Topic: Fan always on?  (Read 1917 times)

Offline LiamC20Chev

Fan always on?
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
I have a 77’ C20  and Every time I turn on the accessories just before I actually turn it over the fan on the passenger footwell side starts running immediately. Even with all the fan/heat/AC switches turned off, it runs immediately when the accessories are on.
Is this normal?
Sorry if it’s a newb question but this is the first Chev I’ve owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Fan always on?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:19:37 AM »
That is totally normal for the vehicle.  Its purpose is to maintain air circulation through the ducts and cabin to prevent mildew formation in the ducts and provide a constant turnover of cabin air.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
Re: Fan always on?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:20 AM »
That's correct, GM designed it to always run the fan on low.  There is no "off" position.  Also, if you have an A/C truck, and put the A/C on the max position, it should turn the blower on high.  It also closes off two of the vacuum-operated doors so that you get recirculated air.

Another item to check is the fuse for high speed, and the blower relay.   The blower relay is mounted under the hood on the A/C plenum (passenger side), and on high speed this relay puts the full 12 volts to the fan, and bypasses the resistors used for lower speeds.  I'm not sure if a non-A/C truck has the same relay.

Running across the top edge of the firewall there is a power wire (orange, I think) for the blower relay, with an inline 30 amp fuse in a bullet-shaped fuse holder.   For some reason this fuse holder often runs hot, and you may find that the fuse holder is melted, which will usually knock out high speed on the blower motor.  You can replace it with a newer blade fuse holder and 30 amp fuse.

Bruce