Author Topic: Carb recommendations  (Read 26149 times)

Offline roadrunnerkitten

Re: Carb recommendations
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
Stock Non-CCC quad off 83 1/2 ton:

i can't help with where to connect the thermac----until next weekend IF we're lucky.   But i don't think that is causing your driveablility problems, so it's not urgent.
Would love to have that carb...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
Why?

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2018, 05:30:21 AM »
Why?
Cuz i have an 83 and i would like back to original lol. I’m currently runnin a slayer750

Offline Monkey Uncle

• Registered Users
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »
I'm interested in any recommendations you might have for a replacement carburetor.

'78 GMC K15 chassis/drive train with an '85 C10 body
Remanned crate 350 (stock) with less than 500 miles on it, mated to an old TH350 that came from a third (unknown) donor vehicle
No emissions control equipment other than pcv hose running from driver's side valve cover into front of carb
Original stock air cleaner from the '78 truck
Carb, intake, fuel pump, and all ignition equipment re-used from the old engine
Fuel pump and fuel lines appear new

The intake appears to be the original stock intake from the '78 truck, but the carb is not.  The truck should have a 4MV quadrajet with divorced hot air choke, but it currently has a 1983 E4ME model with electric choke and several currently unused emissions features.  I am having some idle and driveability problems that were not solved by a re-build (details here if you're interested: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=35689.0).  It was better for a short while after the re-build, but now is even worse than before.  While it might be possible for a quadrajet expert to get it running right, I don't have such an expert available to me, so I think it's time to quit fooling with it and just replace it with a carb that is better matched to an old 350 with no emissions equipment.

From searching various auto parts websites, I see that there are remanned 4MV quadrajets available from National Reman, United, and Autoline for what appear to be reasonable prices with a 1 year warranty.  It also appears that there are several Edelbrock Performer and Holley Street Avenger models that are supposed to bolt on to my manifold, although prices for these are a good bit higher than for the remanned Q-jets.

Also my mechanic suggested that I consider a Carter aftermarket replacement with a manual choke.  I wouldn't mind the manual choke, but my searches did not find anything manufactured by Carter.  My understanding is that Carter is no longer in business, so any Carter carbs likely would be remanned, correct?

Any thoughts about any of these potential replacements?  Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: I should explain how the truck is used.  It's a short distance errand/light to medium duty hauling truck.  Not exactly a DD since I don't use it to commute and probably drive it less than a thousand miles a year.  Although I like the cool factor of driving an old truck that is in pretty decent shape, it is not intended to be a show truck or a performance truck.  So I'm interested in a reasonably priced carb that will get me down the road with a minimum amount of fuss.
Quick fuel SL 750 vs. easy carburetor to work with very tunable. Factory adjusted to fire many scenarios

Thanks for the suggestion, Roadrunner.  At this point I've invested a good bit of time and energy into getting my current carb working right.  Not quite there yet, but I think with a few more tweaks I can get it performing acceptably.  The truck is too much of a Frankentruck to get everything working together to the OEM specs, so it'll probably involve some band-aid solutions.

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »
I'm interested in any recommendations you might have for a replacement carburetor.

'78 GMC K15 chassis/drive train with an '85 C10 body
Remanned crate 350 (stock) with less than 500 miles on it, mated to an old TH350 that came from a third (unknown) donor vehicle
No emissions control equipment other than pcv hose running from driver's side valve cover into front of carb
Original stock air cleaner from the '78 truck
Carb, intake, fuel pump, and all ignition equipment re-used from the old engine
Fuel pump and fuel lines appear new

The intake appears to be the original stock intake from the '78 truck, but the carb is not.  The truck should have a 4MV quadrajet with divorced hot air choke, but it currently has a 1983 E4ME model with electric choke and several currently unused emissions features.  I am having some idle and driveability problems that were not solved by a re-build (details here if you're interested: http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=35689.0).  It was better for a short while after the re-build, but now is even worse than before.  While it might be possible for a quadrajet expert to get it running right, I don't have such an expert available to me, so I think it's time to quit fooling with it and just replace it with a carb that is better matched to an old 350 with no emissions equipment.

From searching various auto parts websites, I see that there are remanned 4MV quadrajets available from National Reman, United, and Autoline for what appear to be reasonable prices with a 1 year warranty.  It also appears that there are several Edelbrock Performer and Holley Street Avenger models that are supposed to bolt on to my manifold, although prices for these are a good bit higher than for the remanned Q-jets.

Also my mechanic suggested that I consider a Carter aftermarket replacement with a manual choke.  I wouldn't mind the manual choke, but my searches did not find anything manufactured by Carter.  My understanding is that Carter is no longer in business, so any Carter carbs likely would be remanned, correct?

Any thoughts about any of these potential replacements?  Or any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: I should explain how the truck is used.  It's a short distance errand/light to medium duty hauling truck.  Not exactly a DD since I don't use it to commute and probably drive it less than a thousand miles a year.  Although I like the cool factor of driving an old truck that is in pretty decent shape, it is not intended to be a show truck or a performance truck.  So I'm interested in a reasonably priced carb that will get me down the road with a minimum amount of fuss.
Quick fuel SL 750 vs. easy carburetor to work with very tunable. Factory adjusted to fire many scenarios

Thanks for the suggestion, Roadrunner.  At this point I've invested a good bit of time and energy into getting my current carb working right.  Not quite there yet, but I think with a few more tweaks I can get it performing acceptably.  The truck is too much of a Frankentruck to get everything working together to the OEM specs, so it'll probably involve some band-aid solutions.
Mine is also. Tryin to bring it back to life. Slayer 750 worked great on this mildly modified 350. I wish i had all original parts to start with, then could tweak wat i wanted. But Frankenstein says no lol