Author Topic: Clutch Sticking  (Read 4234 times)

Offline C-TownC20Guy

• New Users
Clutch Sticking
« on: February 02, 2018, 11:58:43 AM »
Hey guys. So a quick question. And this may not be the correct thread to post to, if not sorry in advance, but back to the problem at hand. I am currently working on a 78 Chevy C20, sbc 350 / Muncie S465 4 speed with manual clutch linkage. I just had a new clutch installed at the same time I had the new rebuilt motor put in. The motor has less than 800 miles on it. My clutch is sticking to floor when I change gears. It seems to happen about a quarter of the time. The rest of the time it has a slow, sticky travel upon release, with a lot of creekiness in what seems like the pedal, not sure. It engages just fine, it's the disengage that is giving me trouble. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Clutch Sticking
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 02:17:45 PM »
It sounds like a lubrication/adjustment issue or possibly a return spring is missing.  Other possibilities are weak pressure plate springs or linkages passing too far over center.  Was the flywheel machined when the clutch was replaced?

Inspect the clutch linkage for missing springs and excessive wear (image).  Thoroughly lubricate all of the linkage ends, bellcrank and pedal pivot shaft high under the dash.  Make sure the stout over-center spring on the clutch pedal isn't missing (not illustrated in the image).  Check the clutch adjustment per the procedure in the Maintenance and Adjustments section of the 1978 Service Manual
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Clutch Sticking
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
I just had a new clutch installed at the same time I had the new rebuilt motor put in.

and did you have whoever did the work check it before you start tinkering?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10