Author Topic: positive battery cable length  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
positive battery cable length
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:18:56 AM »
on my 91 v3500 with the cummins it has the 4 GA positive battery cable. im not able to measure it right now but whats the length? im wanting to upgrade to 2 GA but having issues with finding the right length. its the same cable as came in the truck stock with a 350. i custom made the 2nd cable to the 2nd battery but its 2 GA and the 4 GA has gotten hot before and always gives me fits and gets really hot when trying to bleed the fuel system or on cold days with hard start ups.

the confusion im having is i see listings for 60"- 45". im certain its not 5' long but want to make sure. even if i make it myself at my friends house it will save me some travel time to have a size just to make it at his house then go to my house.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 12:26:24 AM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: positive battery cable length
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:03:50 AM »
Parts store cables are generally too long. I make my own using a roll of 2 gauge, minimize slack, optimize routing. You do need to have a good cable lug crimper though. I would suggest you use a tape measure on yours first but if you can't you can always trim down the longer one.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: positive battery cable length
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 03:41:16 PM »
yeah got one of those lug crimpers you have to smack with a hammer, im sure i have cable over to his house. when the guy at napa told me 60" i told him theres no way its that long. then when i started seeing 3 or so different lengths it kind of hit me theyre more like universal cables and not just made for our trucks. but anyway tonight after work ill go ahead and get my old one off and make one myself and besides napa's price was 35 with my discount lol thats craziness
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes