Author Topic: 1984 GMC K1500  (Read 1925 times)

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
1984 GMC K1500
« on: June 09, 2018, 02:39:29 PM »
Well this is a long time overdue considering i bought the truck around August 2017 but here she is in all her rusty glory.
I Picked up a 1984 GMC K1500 with a 400SBC, 700R4/NP208 and a Western Cable driven plow, and aside from a slight suspension lift, newer seat and the 400SBC swap it's a mostly stock if somewhat rusty truck, started this project off with a gas can and a battery to get her running and she started with no issues from there i had to replace pretty much every line in the truck front too back, Fuel, brakes, transmission cooler, everything but the upper and lower rad hoses needed to be replaced. I installed all new brake component aside from the master, booster and proportioning valve along with pads, rotors and drums. After i could start the truck and not have it start a new leak my Father and I Started on the rocker(s)and inner fender patches, the rad cradle was toast so it got pulled (accidentally stepped on it later and my foot went right through it) and replaced with a Rad cradle i saved from a 91 R3500 parts crew cab. After a lack of success getting the semi electronic Quadrajet to run properly my father put a Edelbrock carb on it and tuned that for me (I've since acquired a Non electronic Quad that will eventually be put on the 400, best part was that is was free with an intake). I've been driving this truck a little over 6 months now too and from work and a little bit of around town driving, the first (and only) time i took her out of town the 700R4 lost 3rd gear in traffic on the Highway so now she's limited to puttering around town until i get the trans rebuilt (already have the master rebuild Kit just need to pull the trans and get it to my guy to pull it apart and put the kit in). Aside from the Transmission i also have to put new U joints and seals into the front axle and i have new wheel bearings and axle seals for the rear axle as well as a bunch of odds and ends that need to be dealt with.
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater

Offline nascarmikeb

• New Users
Re: 1984 GMC K1500
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:02:03 AM »
Well this is a long time overdue considering i bought the truck around August 2017 but here she is in all her rusty glory.
I Picked up a 1984 GMC K1500 with a 400SBC, 700R4/NP208 and a Western Cable driven plow, and aside from a slight suspension lift, newer seat and the 400SBC swap it's a mostly stock if somewhat rusty truck, started this project off with a gas can and a battery to get her running and she started with no issues from there i had to replace pretty much every line in the truck front too back, Fuel, brakes, transmission cooler, everything but the upper and lower rad hoses needed to be replaced. I installed all new brake component aside from the master, booster and proportioning valve along with pads, rotors and drums. After i could start the truck and not have it start a new leak my Father and I Started on the rocker(s)and inner fender patches, the rad cradle was toast so it got pulled (accidentally stepped on it later and my foot went right through it) and replaced with a Rad cradle i saved from a 91 R3500 parts crew cab. After a lack of success getting the semi electronic Quadrajet to run properly my father put a Edelbrock carb on it and tuned that for me (I've since acquired a Non electronic Quad that will eventually be put on the 400, best part was that is was free with an intake). I've been driving this truck a little over 6 months now too and from work and a little bit of around town driving, the first (and only) time i took her out of town the 700R4 lost 3rd gear in traffic on the Highway so now she's limited to puttering around town until i get the trans rebuilt (already have the master rebuild Kit just need to pull the trans and get it to my guy to pull it apart and put the kit in). Aside from the Transmission i also have to put new U joints and seals into the front axle and i have new wheel bearings and axle seals for the rear axle as well as a bunch of odds and ends that need to be dealt with.
Good work so far. So when there is rust like that in the panels, and under the hood how is that repaired?
On my 87 sierra classic, my battery tray and below is rusted through.

Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline big_al273

• Registered Users
Re: 1984 GMC K1500
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 09:38:21 AM »
cut out the rust and weld in new metal, a lot of panels for these trucks are reproduced but some stuff isn't my Father and I had to make patches for under the rubbers around the hood hinges (the rubbers collected crap underneath and rotted the metal under them, Ill see if i can get a good picture) and this truck needs new front sheet metal there's rust in everything but the rad support i put in

P.s. Thought i posted this picture but here's how the 80's grille looks with the 91 single headlight rad support, it all fits together except for the headlight bezels
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 09:49:18 AM by big_al273 »
91 Chevy R3500 Crewcab future project
89 GMC R3500 Cab & Chassis Tool truck project
88 Chevy V30 Crewcab Ex-firetruck
87 Chevy R20 Crewcab future project
84 GMC K1500 winter beater