Author Topic: Corporate 14 bolt spindle threads after brake job  (Read 2867 times)

Offline 1911fan

Corporate 14 bolt spindle threads after brake job
« on: September 30, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
l am working my way through my 1978 K20. I just finished putting on new shoes, hardware, adjusters, and wheel cylinders on the truck. I also then replaced the drums, bearings and seals. When I go to install the drum and hub assemblies back on the truck they seat all the way on, but when i go to put on the keyed washer, spindle nut, lock washer, and outer nut there is no threads left showing after assembly on the driver side. On the passenger side there is about 5 threads showing. Is this a problem/normal? Sorry I don't have pictures currently.

Cheers for any insight.

Offline enaberif

Re: Corporate 14 bolt spindle threads after brake job
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 12:13:10 PM »
No this is not normal and there should be a lot more threads. Something was not put together properly and will need to be taken apart and done again.

If you have any questions... pictures speak a ton.

Offline 1911fan

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 01:09:13 PM »
 I will take some pictures this weekend, I don't know what the heck could be wrong though. I took it apart multiple times and put it back together trying to find an anomaly. The drum is fully seated on the spindle and the outer bearing is fully seated as well I don't know what else it could possibly be?  I would think if the drum was hung up it would be noticeable where the backing plate meets the drum?  There is no difference in the distance between the backing plate and rim of the drum between the drivers and passenger side?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:25:44 PM by 1911fan »

Offline enaberif

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 01:13:34 PM »
I will take some pictures this weekend, I don't know what the heck could be wrong though. I took it apart multiple times and put it back together. The drum is fully seated on the spindle and the outer bearing is fully seated as well I don't know what else it could possibly be?  I would think if the drum was hung up it would be noticeable where the backing plate meets the drum?

If you put the backing plate on the wrong way it does make a difference. There is a specific way things go together which I also found out because of the threads.

Backing plate should be on the knuckle then the spindle. But you also need to make sure that your axle shaft is out as far as it can go as well because that can move in a bit.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:20:39 PM by enaberif »

Offline 1911fan

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:34:27 PM »
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. This is on the rear of the truck with free floating axle.  Thinking I should check to make sure the drumis the same on each side, and that they did not send me two different drums.  I could see autozone sending me one for 11 inch shoes and another for 13, and me not realizing the difference at the time.  Edit: Nope, just checked, both the same drum?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:06:19 PM by 1911fan »