Author Topic: 454 Install Questions  (Read 2958 times)

Offline samseye

454 Install Questions
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:09:00 PM »
Just dropped in 454 into 84 C10 originally with 6 banger.

1) Is the distributer vacuum working on timed (no vacuum at idle) or full (vacuum present at idle)?

2) Installed Dynomax headers with factory oil cooler set up.
Factory filter to tall at 5 inches.
Tried Fram PH30 for Corvette at 4 inches...too tall.
I think I need one about 3.5 inches?
Any ideas on what I should get?  Anyone else run into this and what can I do?

3) In removing the 6...I snagged a very very thin vacuum line coming from he fire wall ...broke off right where it got thicker and hooked into other vacuum lines.  What is that line used for?  Is there a way to repair it if needed?

4) I have the factory 700r4.  The bolt pattern for the flexplate on the 6 banger is about 11 inches diameter.  I need a torque converter with about 12 inches diameter for the bolts.  I believe this is a 27 spline for the year.  What can I tell the boys at the parts shop for a year and model that should have the correct spline and bolt pattern?

Thanks,
David

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: 454 Install Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:46:00 AM »
Vacume anvance should have none at idel and increase with throtle.
Torque coverter is matched to your engine, cam size etc. for stall speed, & what you plan to do with truck. example daily driver or drag race, etc. Get ahold of a company called Transtar, they sell rebuild kits for auto and standard transmisions, transfer cases, torque converters etc. They have a place in Salem N.H. but I am pretty sure they have other places around the country as well. They will be able to help you get the right one.
As far as your filter issues I would get ahold of a good parts man, in other words not an auto zone minimum wage kid, and have them look up filters with the same size thread and thread pitch as you 454 and one that is approx. 3" tall. Or get a remote oil filter kit.  

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Z28 c10

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
I'd definetely go with the remote mount filter, even with the smaller filter, you'll have some interfearance when you go to remove and replace it. Besides, if you go with the remote mount, you can stick with a larger filter that will hold and clean up more juice than that little filter. More oil capacity is better than less even if it's just a few ounces.

JayTater

Z28 C10

Offline DnStClr

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
David, is the vacuum line you snagged a small diameter line- like 3/16" ? If so, it sounds like it's the vac line going to the heater/air control panel. Did the line break, or the plastic T?

Don
87 Chevy Silverado

Offline samseye

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 03:52:00 PM »
That sounds like the line.
And yes...the line broke not the plastic.
Any advice?

Offline samseye

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:01:00 PM »
I have the 454 installed and I am not getting fire from the spark plugs.
I checked the distributor hot wire and I got juice.
I noticed while turning the key that the fuel guage is now over the full mark.
Is it possible I have a bad ground some where or missed one?
The distrubitor looks fine...not fried or anything.
Thanks,
David