Author Topic: Help identify rear disc brakes - 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4  (Read 8209 times)

Offline Mike Phillips

Help identify rear disc brakes - 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4
« on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:38 PM »
Help identify rear disc brakes - 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4

I want to rebuild the front and rear brakes on my 1987 Silverado and before taking them apart only to find out NAPA doesn't have the parts I need in stock, I took some pictures of the rear disc brakes and was hoping someone here might be able to identify them?

This is a GM 14 Bolt rearend and the disc brake conversioin was already performed when I purchased the truck so I don't know what they came off of or where they came from?

My hunch is there's only a few options for this conversion and thus someone after looking at the pictures might have already experienced this and know what I have for brakes.

Here's the pictures...

:)

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Help identify rear disc brakes - 1987 Chevy Silverado 4x4
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:11:38 PM »
yours is a little different than most cause your brackets dont have a bend in them nor is there a spacer.
i have the same ones but i never got around to installing them and i forget the part numbers.
here you go
Left side

autozone

NAPA

Right side

autozone

NAPA

rotors
now dont quote me but

autozone

NAPA
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 01:13:19 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »
tell you the truth im not sure about those rotors but they came off a 2003 c20 and the calipers come off a 3/4 chevy jb7

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 01:35:38 PM »
Bet you they are D52 pads.  I just picked up a complete FF Corp 14 bolt yesterday with the rear disc brake conversion but mine came with the Eldorado rear calipers for the parking brakes to have hooked up. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
i knew the e brake was something weird but i couldnt remember but thats it. and 52 should be good

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
Yup. same pads as the front
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 09:29:11 PM »
Thanks guys... I knew I could get the answer here.

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »

yours is a little different than most cause your brackets dont have a bend in them nor is there a spacer.
i have the same ones but i never got around to installing them and i forget the part numbers.
here you go

Left side

NAPA

Right side

NAPA

When I click these links, the descriptions state the are for the front brakes but they fit for this rear disc brake conversion - correct?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
right, the rear brake conversions for our trucks normally use front disk brakes from other vehicles

Offline Mike Phillips

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »

right, the rear brake conversions for our trucks normally use front disk brakes from other vehicles

Copy that.

I pulled up this thread on my iPad and showed my buddy Pete at NAPA.

Clicked on the link and showed him the part.  He then pulled it up on his computer system and then grabbed me a set from off the shelf.

Only had enough to do one set so he ordered in another set that will be here Tuesday.

No problem ad I'm not able to get to it until next weekend.

Ill take some pictures of the project and post them in case it can help someone else in the future.

Drove the truck around today... Feels good to have my truck back on the road!

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 06:29:46 PM »
Most 14 bolt rear disc conversions use use front calipers and pads from 3/4 ton truck pretty much any year.

Offline Gubni

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 10:26:29 AM »
Since that is a straight bracket you may have the newer 14 bolt. I think the company www.lugnut4x4.com is the only company that makes that kit. Those calipers are ones we used for awhile off a mid 80's chevy van. If there are any questions I am here to help.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:39:04 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
doesnt the brackets being bent or not have to do with what type of rotors youre using? if your keeping your emergency brakes or not?

Offline Gubni

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »
While that may be true, it doesn't work like that with lugnuts kits. Just talking about full float single rear wheel axles there are two types. From 73-99 they made one with the drum behind the hub and from 88-99 they made one with the drum that slides off without removing the hub. On the one with the slide off drum which I call the newer style the flange and the hub are closer together so it needs a flat bracket. Don't get confused with a ribbed or non ribbed housing as even the ones with the rib can have the older style drum brakes. One the newer style axle I have a slide on rotor and I have one that goes behind the hub. The slide on requires 16" wheels and the one that goes behind the hub will work with 15" wheels.

As for emergency brake I've use 1976-78 Cadillac Eldorado calipers. These are much bigger than the 79+ calipers. They have the levers custom made so they don't fatigue like some of the others. They work very well.

I bought and installed a kit about a year ago. Best thing I've done to my truck so far. I run 46" XZL Michelin military tires. They weigh 250 pounds apiece. The Lugnut 4x4 kit help the breaking tremendously. I also used the Eldorado calipers and when I set the parking break they hold the truck with no problems. Customer service is top notch and shipping was very fast. -Buddy Smith
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:38:37 PM by Irish_Alley »

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »
how many of these kits do you have and would you mind doing a "build" or "how to" write up? of course if you have pictures thats even better