Author Topic: Pitman/Drag Link  (Read 1561 times)

Offline 74beachtruck

Pitman/Drag Link
« on: August 31, 2020, 08:31:40 AM »
74 K10 stock

Hey, guys! Hope everyone is well. Just got finished rebuilding my front end from axle shafts to bearings, ball joints, tie rods, etc. and was hoping all of this would have tightened up the steering a little more than it did. So now plan on replacing steering gear, pitman arm and coupler. My question is...would removing pitman arm from gear with drag link attached or loosening up some turns on drag link adjusting sleeve make it easier to seperate the two. Trying not to beat the crap out of and damage the new drag link/boot. Thanks once again!

Online JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Pitman/Drag Link
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
Before you do that, it seems like you still have play that you're not happy with, correct?

Have you located where there is excessive wear? Have you visually inspected it while someone is moving the steering wheel back and forth slowly?

When you say the gear, do you mean your steering box?

You can adjust the steering box for play between the gears; have you tried that?
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 74beachtruck

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Yes. The rest of the play is coming from the steering gear. There is a delay in pitman arm moving with the steering wheel. Verified coupler moves in unison with steering wheel and is turning input shaft. Knew that before I even started on the front end but ball joints were bad and tie rods rods had a little play in them too, not to mention they were about ready to rust in half so all of that needed changing anyway. Was hoping it would get the steering manageable enough to live with. Yes, I've quarter turned the adjusting nut on the gear a few times throughout the years but it has not made a whole lot of difference. Everything I've replaced or am replacing is original equipment believe it or not, 46 years later, so guess I'm lucky it's lasted this long. The reason I asked the question is I saw a video of a guy that pulled the pitman arm with drag link still attached when replacing his steering gear and thought that this may be a way to seperate them without causing much damage to the new drag link I'very already replaced being that end wouldn't be under tension. Sounds like you have some ideas that may work?

Online JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 05:51:47 AM »
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

First, you can pull the pitman arm with the drag link still attached, use the correct tool to remove.

On the steering gear box, there is a method to adjusting it that I recall from 40 years ago;
Jack up the front end till the wheels are off the ground, then you find the center of travel in the worm gear by rotating the steering wheel left to right, stopping at the center of travel, regardless of the steering wheel position.

There is supposed to be a high point on the worm gear, or what ever gear it's turning. Holding that position, you tighten the adjustment screw down snug then back off until the wheel turns freely. If the high point is still there, :), you will definitely feel the resistance at that point of travel. It's important to not leave it too tight, you will cause wear on the internal assembly.

With that done and locked back down, drop the front end and drive it. Most likely the steering wheel will be off center-make a note of the position, then used the drag link coupler to move the steering wheel to center. Don't forget to lock the coupler down tight.

I assume you have had the toe-in set, but if not, have a pro do it, unless you possess the skill yourself.

Even after 46 years, these gear boxes hold up unless there has been abuse from off-roading, overheating due to lack of fluid, oil contamination from dirty water entering the pump reservoir, etc.. If yours has suffered from that, then the forgoing is moot.

Let us know what happens, hope it works out for you!

Offline 74beachtruck

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 06:41:39 AM »
Hey, thanks! I've never heard of that high point procedure, will try that. Haven't had the toe- in done yet as I was going to wait until I had everything replaced. Last thing...so once I remove pitman arm with drag link still attached, separating the drag link from pitman arm is just a matter of striking the pitman arm with a hammer or something for drag link stud to break free? I'll be replacing pitman arm as well. Thank you, sir!

Online JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 02:37:00 PM »
Good to know, you may find it tightens things up nicely.

Why are you replacing the pitman? Is the tapered hole for the tie rod end sloppy or oblong?

Have someone move the steering back and forth a few inches to visually inspect. If there is no looseness, you may not need a new one.

Best,
JP