Author Topic: Power steering play in 3/4 ton  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Shawn

• New Users
Power steering play in 3/4 ton
« on: March 15, 2002, 01:39:00 PM »
I have a problem with excessive play in an old '82 3/4 ton Chevy (old oilfield truck).  My question is:  Is there a way to tighten these old steering boxes up or do I need to search for a new one?  It seems to track pretty straight, just a bunch of play in it.

Offline 73K20

• Registered Users
Re: Power steering play in 3/4 ton
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 07:21:00 PM »
there is a way to tighten them but i have not done it to my truck yet so i cant tell you how to do it.  Local yards want $75 for a new steering box so im going to try to tighten mine first.  

Offline 83CHEVY

• Registered Users
Very Common Problem
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 06:01:00 PM »
This problem is common on all these trucks.  I replaced every component in my front suspension (ball joints, bushings, tie rod and drag link ends) trying to get the wander out of mine.  That is how I discovered that it is the steering box that causes it.

Here is a link to another post on this topic.

The adjustment is pretty involved and you will need access to a factory service manual.  The box will have to be removed from the vehicle to do it properly.

You can do like me and just buy a brand new one (not a re-built).  I got a pretty good discount on mine.  I paid 250.  Now it drives like new.

Mike

Offline 81lwb350

Re: Very Common Problem
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
i had play in my steering and i changed the pitman arm and the idle arm...just fine now...not like y2k rack and pinion but its fairly tight after the parts were replaced!

maybe check that...its cheaper than a new steering box!

81 custom deluxe - stock 350 - brown and tan "yuck" for now - black nascar wheels....for NOW!

Offline jbickler

steering box play
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2003, 05:45:00 PM »
Well,  I just adjusted my box today in fact. This is how I done it.

Make absolutely sure the steering /tires are straight -- straight as humanly possible (this is very important).  Then there is a nut on top of the box with an allen screw (some are a slot screw) comming out the center of it.  Loosen up the nut several turns (not all the way out) while holding the screw in place.  Then tighten the scew (let the nut turn),  not tight,  just til you fell a drag on the end.  Tighten up the nut while holding the screw.  Check it how it rides.  I haven't driven it but the play is gone when I do the following test.

I have one other problem I need to fix before I drive it.

Best way to check if the play is in the box is to have someone rock the steering wheel for you while you look over the whole steering system.