Author Topic: Oil pressure sending unit location  (Read 69838 times)

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Re: Oil pressure sending unit location
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
2 oil sensors, on fuel filter on the frame rail, and a sock filter in the tank.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:57 AM »
Well now I'm screwed. In my attempt to remove the oil pressure sending unit, I broke off its connection to the manifold. It would be that brass looking thing at the bottom left of the pic that bd posted. The thing the sender screws into. I had my wrench on the sender itself, trying to unscrew it. It broke off in the manifold. I'm afraid at this point, I'm at a loss as to what I should do.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 11:01:33 AM »
EZ out it.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »
Guess I spoke too soon. Yeah the easeout worked. I feel like I got lucky on that one. Although after all this, I'm starting to think that it must be nice (if something has to go bad) when something goes bad on the FRONT of the motor. heh
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:54:06 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:29 PM »
Yes there are 2 oil sensors on the 87's.  The one by the filter feeds the gauge (typical of the normal non TBI) the one at the back of the intake goes to the ECM.

Are they both the exact same part? Are they interchangeable?

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
They are not the same.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 08:31:13 PM »
Well thanks for all the help. But I do of course have another question. In your opinion, what is the best way to get that lower sending unit off? I have big hands and even after removing the oil filter, and the oxygen sensor, I'm still having trouble. There really isn't enough room to get a good enough pair of channel locks in there. And since its round, no kind of wrench will work either. What I am thinking would be perfect, would be a miniature oil filter wrench, if such a thing existed.

Maybe whoever changed it last just put it on too tight.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 07:37:50 PM »
There is a square at the base of the bell, just use the appropriate sized wrench or crescent wrench.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 11:07:34 AM »
Ok now back to the other topic lol. This thing has been fighting me tooth and nail against getting that top oil pressure sending unit fixed. I finally found a specialty tool at Oriellys that is made for the job, and it won't fit on because there is some kind of metal... tab sticking up to just below the sensor itself. The specialty tool is just a perfectly sized socket that fits over the sensor with just enough room between the firewall. But of course with that little tab sticking up, it can't slide on all the way. It just hangs.

So I guess I'm going to have to do something I'm not really comfortable with, which is pulling the distributor. I don't feel like I can get it back in exactly the way it came out. Never had good luck with doing it. So now that I'm done rambling, I'll ask my question.

What is the best way to actually make a mark on the distributor so you can line it back up, when you are reinstalling it? Given the very limited space and visibility that you know is there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:09:14 AM by Skunksmash »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »
Can you post a pic of the issue?  Are you using the correct elbow fitting with the proper offset?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2012, 06:04:02 PM »
No that was the problem it was a little bit different. But it was the only one they had at the junkyard. I got it on there though.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
2 ways
a)pull the cap (leaving the spark plug wires connected) and mark the location of where the rotor is pointing, unbolt it
b) put the motor on TDC, pull the distributor and then put it back where the the #1 terminal is supposed to go.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
Well try as I might, I could not get the factory sending unit off. The one for the gauge. So I cut it out with a die grinder. Once I did that, I was able to get the fitting itself (that the sending unit screws into) out of the block. Now only the threaded part of the sending unit remains. That thing is so corroded in there, that I couldn't even get it out with the use of a vice. Nor could I get it out with an ease out. So I'm looking for a new fitting.

I'm having to make a new fitting out of brass fittings screwed together, that I got at Oreillys. Not exactly the same, but I hope it will work.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
Yall don't think that the new brass fittings will give me trouble do you? They have bigger openings on the ends, than the factory fittings did. I'd say about half-again as big. Maybe it won't matter pressure-wise.

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 04:38:17 PM »
Not really following what you mean by bigger?  You got the broken piece out right?