Author Topic: General HEI concerns/questions.....:  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Stewart G Griffin

General HEI concerns/questions.....:
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:42:50 AM »
NOTE: i don't know jack about distributors so please be patient and very detailed.

1) In taking it all apart i noticed that there was some oilish substance underneath where the module is mounted. Is this ok?

2) Is there supposed to be a felt washer where "a" is?

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
Re: General HEI concerns/questions.....:
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 05:43:47 AM »
Going off of memory, haven't been deep into a dizzy in a long time.
1) I believe it's heatsink compound.  Should be a little packet of white goop that came with the ign. module.  I just use a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball, clean up the mount area and re-apply.  If you don't have any, auto parts store should have it, or someplace like Radio Shack.  I've used the stuff for computers before, all your looking to do is aid transfer of heat from the module to the metal base.

2) This is where the memory comes in...  I believe there is a felt washer, but I think it's covering a small "well" of grease for the bushing.  Silicone based? maybe? 
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:16:16 AM »
Going off of memory, haven't been deep into a dizzy in a long time.
1) I believe it's heatsink compound.  Should be a little packet of white goop that came with the ign. module.  I just use a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball, clean up the mount area and re-apply.  If you don't have any, auto parts store should have it, or someplace like Radio Shack.  I've used the stuff for computers before, all your looking to do is aid transfer of heat from the module to the metal base.

2) This is where the memory comes in...  I believe there is a felt washer, but I think it's covering a small "well" of grease for the bushing.  Silicone based? maybe?

Yes to #1:  Yes to #2, though I thought it was a felt washer, I could be wrong though.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Donut

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:32:04 PM »
 ;D  That's kinda what I meant, the washer is felt and the grease may be silicone based (under the washer)
'73 Chevy K-20 ***SOLD***
350/tbh350/np205
My plow was half price if i took the truck with it.

'86 C-30 dually, 454/tbh400

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 06:34:18 AM »
;D  That's kinda what I meant, the washer is felt and the grease may be silicone based (under the washer)

I must have read that wrong, I thought you meant the washer was silicon based.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom