Author Topic: another round of what are these wires?  (Read 14750 times)

Offline kmanrsss

another round of what are these wires?
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
When i removed my 87 cab i labeled all the wires i disconnected. There were some that were already broken and or disconnected. Ive got 3 wires that run in the harness that goes behind the engine, and they come out of the harness with the fat red and little purple wire for the starter.  The colors in question are a dark blue wire, black with white stripe and a tan wire.  the other wires in question are a pink with black stripe and a brown wire that go to a 2 prong plug. the plug is the same style as used on the fuel pumps. it comes out of the harness at with the red, blue, green, and yellow wire that goes into the tbi unit. i don't see any open plugs around, but was wondering if it possibly went to the air pump which is no longer there. Ive looked at the schematics and am either missing them or there not there. I am probably missing them. thanks for the help.

Offline kmanrsss

Re: another round of what are these wires?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:56:24 AM »
The black/whit stripe wire is spliced with 5 wires coming in, one coming out. Possible ground?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 11:54:19 AM »
Here is a partial answer:  (1) the blue wire at the starter probably connected to a knock sensor that screwed into the block water jacket in front of the starter; (2) the pink w/ black stripe is ignition, paired with the brown wire exiting the harness along with the injector wires probably connect to the 'missing' Air Management Valve and air pump; (3) w/o more info (maybe a pic), the black w/ white stripe is probably ground and may be paired with the tan wire (O2 sensor ground) to the back of the right cylinder head.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 12:51:27 PM by bd »
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
Black with white appears to be grounds. The tan wire rings out to the ECM and from what I can tell is also a ground. The dark blue wire comes off the electronic spark controller. It's the port closest the engine. My colors don't match the book at all. It looks like it goes to the knock sensor. I forgot that was there. Thanks

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 05:21:37 PM »
got one more that ive got no clue on. It's orange and comes out of the wiring harness directly below where the throttle cable passes through the firewall. ive already got a wire on the oil pressure that is in the same harness as the O2 sensor, and the truck runs. thanks for the help
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:34:58 PM by kmanrsss »

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
Do you have an oil pressure gauge or light?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 08:30:28 PM »
Yes there is an oil pressure gauge.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:09:21 PM »
I have 3 uncut 87 TBI harnesses.  Post a pic of your harness for reference and then of the wires in question.

This is mine after I unbolted everything:

Offline 87454westernhauler

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
got one more that ive got no clue on. It's orange and comes out of the wiring harness directly below where the throttle cable passes through the firewall. ive already got a wire on the oil pressure that is in the same harness as the O2 sensor, and the truck runs. thanks for the help
on my 87 i had i also had he same wire also not hooked up to anything at all. thought it was an extra wire that could have been for the oil light if it would of had dumy gages but it always bugged me.
86 c10 350 sbc 700R4 Daily Driver
79 gmc c20 350 th350
78 k1500 4x4 350 th350

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:42 PM »

The wire color in the image you posted appears more 'tan' than 'orange' and probably connected to the oil pressure sender for the 'dash gauge.'
Rich

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »
Bad picture of the wire itself but its orange once you trace it back to a clean spot. It's possible that it was never used as there is no label on it. Gonna dig a little more tonight. Thanks for the help so far.

Offline rsandusky

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
Low pressure switch on the combination valve for the brakes maybe? look on the frame rail

Offline kmanrsss

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »
Rsandusky, that was my original thought but I've got that hooked up already.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 10:14:22 PM »
Can you tell me which connector it comes out of at the firewall plug?  Pic of it in perspective?

Offline pholliday1

• 1990 V3500 Crew Cab
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
Would also be helpful if your tank has dual tanks there are provision in the wiring harness for that option.
VETERAN AND LIFETIME NRA MEMBER. WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
1991 V3500 CREWCAB SRW 454TBI GMC
1991 v3500 crewcab SRW 454tbi 480le 6" lift
1990 V3500 crewcab Dana 60 FF 14b 5:38 ratio 40 inch 11" lift
1989 v3500 crewcab 454TBI 5" lift