Author Topic: Wiper module  (Read 7133 times)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
Wiper module
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:28:01 AM »
Does anyone kno if they make replacement modules.i found some but the part is no longer available.
Gotta clean my back windshield cause I'm too busy kicking up dust

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
Re: Wiper module
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »
1983 c10 silverado. Intermediate with pulse wipers.looking for replacement module for wipers

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:16:42 PM »
There are several variations used. Do you have an aftermarket one, an add on, original switch on the dash? Post pics
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
Its the factory module with pulse .it shuts off when i unplug the wiper switch and when i plug it back in they operate again. Even plugging the switch up without the module same thing. I  replaced wiper switch and all the speeds and wiper washer is working as they should it just wont shut off when i turn the switch off. I checked my grounds and even swap modules out still same thing. Got a reman wiper motor same thing happens. I have been looking at the wiper diagrams trying to find maybe a short. Cnt seem to find anything shorted out. I pulled the fuse box away from firewall and everything  looks good. Can someone please help me with this issue.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »
Did you replace both the wiper motor and the wiper switch in an attempt to correct the continuous run problem or did the constant running problem begin after one or the other was replaced?  To help diagnose, read through Procedure 6 (Wiper will not shut off) in the 1983 Service Manual.  Be patient and allow time for the download.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 02:09:20 PM »
Yes i replaced to correct the problem since neither one has never been replaced thinkin that would be the problem. Will do that test and post my finding

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »
I believe I have a short to power somewhere. the motor is on low and If I check for power on low wire I have power but its dim if I ground it motor speeds up. can any one help with this. the gray wire is the one with power

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
The wiper circuit is "switched ground" not switched power, meaning you may discover power where you don't expect it.  Did you follow the linked test procedure 6?

What happens when you unplug the two-wire connector from the wiper motor that has the black/light blue and gray wires?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 06:51:23 PM »
yes i have followed the procedure to the tee. all grounds are good. unless im missing something. when i unplug the 2 wire connetor the motor still runs in low speed. i have looked everywhere for shorts and bad grounds everything checks out

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
Also do i suppose to have power coming in to the wiper switch from harness at all found power ther with key on on 2 wires. Also on the 3 wire plug i have power to the yellow wire while unplugged. When i plug it back in i also have power on the purple wire. Not a lot but enough to barely light up my test light.

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 07:29:24 PM »
Also do i suppose to have power coming in to the wiper switch from harness at all found power ther with key on on 2 wires. Also on the 3 wire plug i have power to the yellow wire while unplugged. When i plug it back in i also have power on the purple wire. Not a lot but enough to barely light up my test light.

That's normal as long as it only occurs with the ignition switched on. 

yes i have followed the procedure to the tee. all grounds are good. unless im missing something. when i unplug the 2 wire connetor the motor still runs in low speed. i have looked everywhere for shorts and bad grounds everything checks out

There is only one ground.  The solid black wire that connects to the wiper switch is the only ground connection to chassis.

Unplug both two wire connectors from the wiper motor.  Unplug the three wire connector from the wiper motor and remove the gray wire from the connector, being careful not to damage it.  With ignition on, does the motor still run?
Rich

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:19:24 PM »
When i remove the grey wire plug the the 3 wire connector back in correct and remove both park and washer connectors right. Just wanna b sure i understand you correctly

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 12:28:06 AM »
Yes.  And, after you perform the test, leave the gray wire disconnected from the wiper motor.

Background on how the wiper motor circuit works:
Fused ignition power is supplied to the motor through the white wire.  When the wiper switch grounds the gray wire, the motor runs at low speed.  When the wiper switch grounds the purple wire, the motor runs at high speed.
Rich

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
Ok took me a min but i fi ally removed the grey wire and plug it back in motor does not run  so i am assuming i have a short to ground in that wire am i correct?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 08:13:51 AM by dieselman123 »

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
Did a lil bit more diagnosing and found without the module connected everything works fine. Its only when i plug the module in the switch doesnt remove the ground from the grey wire i have tried 3 modules and all did the same am i missing something here or do i have 3 bad modules