Author Topic: Air Ride vs Static  (Read 2305 times)

Offline ZM57

Air Ride vs Static
« on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:11 AM »
Hey guys,

I have an 86 c10 fleetside short box that I bought in the spring. It came with a small lowering kit on it already without a notch (maybe 2/4?). I want to drop it more, but i'm struggling with making a decision on air versus static. I love the way it rides right now (super smooth and easy to drive) and don't want to give that up when I go down further.

I haven't decided how low I want to go yet (would be cool to lay frame, and I know if I do it will have to be air but WAY more work/money). So my question is what are your thoughts on general ride quality? I really don't want a rough ride, I've been in some vehicles that ride like trash but look good. I know that wheel/tire size matters I'm hoping to go 22" wheels with as much rubber as I can get (would go 20" in the front if needed).

I have read almost every post in "the lows" and I my question has been sort of addressed, but that was some time ago and tech changes fast. I'm just learning and starting to plan out what I am going to do, so any help would be much appreciated!

Offline ZM57

Re: Air Ride vs Static
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:59 AM »
Oh yea, I know that y'all will probably ask budget. Lets just say that it's not an issue for conversations sake. I am will to wait/save and be patient to make sure it's done correctly.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
Tell me if I missed something. You like the way it rides, it looks perfect and you want to go lower, put 22" wheels right?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline ZM57

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »
Yes, that's the plan. I was just planning on getting it a little lower to the ground.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 04:19:04 AM »
I wouldn't touch it. It looks perfect.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline FlatBlack77

• Cheap Fast Reliable - Pick 2
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:11:04 AM »
I agree with Vile. It looks nice the way it is.

I personally love the look of smaller wheels in the front and larger in the rear. So my vote is 20s up front and 22s out back. Just saying lol

You can lower it after you get the wheel and tire setup installed. That way you can see how the rollers look and decide from there if you want to go a little lower or just keep it how it is. Bolting some wheels on can make a huge improvement to the look of a vehicle. And that is immensely easier than changing suspension components.

You can always keep it how it is but improve the ride quality with good shocks, anti sway bars, new bushings, ect.
"When you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
'77 C/10 - 350/350 mild street motor

Online Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
Let it be.   8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline ZM57

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »
Thanks for the quick responses! I guess I will start with wheels/tires and see how it looks. I took some measurements yesterday, the bottom of the cab is 11" off the ground, and the tires are 28" tall. Assuming I throw whatever size wheel with a tire that is 30" tall it will raise the truck up 2" right? Sorry if it's kind of a dumb question, this is all new stuff to me.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »
As with the others, I like the way it looks now. The Ralley Wheels are desired by most and I even bought a set that I am going to put on my truck to replace the after market wheels after I complete my rebuild. However, you need to do what makes you happy.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline ZM57

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 12:58:45 PM »
Just an FYI this is kinda what I am going for. It just looks a little lower than mine (different wheels though). I plan on keeping the rally wheels and doing something else too (in the long run). I appreciate all the love btw, I love this truck. I have started with the interior, it needs a little work (stereo needs updating, speakers, window regulator/motors).