Author Topic: Temperature gauge not working.  (Read 2766 times)

Offline 86K10Siverado

Temperature gauge not working.
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:13:48 PM »
So I'm fairly new to automotive stuff and was wondering where I should start to fix my temperature gauge. At the moment when I turn on the truck nothing happens regardless of how long the truck is running. I know NOTHING about electrical stuff so even the more obvious answers will be appreciated. Thank you in advance! Also my truck is a 1986 K10 Silverado if that affects anything.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Temperature gauge not working.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:03:21 AM »
so do you know how to use a multimeter?
heres a tech section on some electrical stuff. http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?board=50.0

If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:43:48 AM »
Is the dash fitted with factory gauges?  Do the other gauges work?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:08:04 AM »
Under the hood, the temp gauge wire should be dark green, and plugged into a sensor that is on the driver's side of the block, in the head just below the exhaust manifold.  You can usually look down at the space between the center section of the manifold and the block and see the brass sensor sticking out.  Most sensors have a "button" connector on the end of the sensor, and the terminal on the end of the wire slides over the button.

If you disconnect the sensor wire and run a wire from it over to a ground on the engine, with the ignition on, the temp gauge should peg at max.   If it pegs, then the wiring is good and the sensor is the problem.  If it does not move, you have a broken wire or a bad gauge.

Bruce