Author Topic: T-case problem??????  (Read 2278 times)

77DuallyCowboy

T-case problem??????
« on: April 10, 2005, 12:34:00 AM »
OK, After a month of no motor, i finally got one in and running tonight, when I put the trans in any drive gear NUTHIN happened! then i figured out the t-case was in neutral :eek   hehe opps! well once I got it in 4hi, STILL nuthin happened, it ground just a little bit so i know the trans is not the problem. No gears work, the motor doesnt even bogg down. I even put the t-case in hi and lo loc. Nuthing happens!!! It worked when the truck was parked. My hubs are locked in. I have no clue what is going on. Ive tryed everything i can think off. :rolleyes  I know the tranny isnt the prob. (uncle was messin round n ground the heck outta the t-case on accident) so obviously there is power goin through the trans. oh yeah its a 78 k20 with the crap fulltime t-case. yes everything is connected and bolted together. (I know some one is thinking "well did you connect the torque converter??") yes it is! >:  Thanks in advance guys for any help you can provide!

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: T-case problem??????
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 08:59:00 AM »
My 78 shortie was doing almost the same thing.  IT Would however, work in HI-LOC and LO-LOC.  So, I had to dump out all of the fluid, which was a mixture of 10w40 and Dexron 3.  I then filled it up with 80w90, kind of heavy for a 203, but it seemed to do the job.  Now it works in all ranges.

77DuallyCowboy

Re: T-case problem??????
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »
after some work I now believe the trans if fried. I jacked up the left front locked the hubs in, and put the t-case in hi, not hi lock, and the left front didnt even move a hair. Fortunatly my donor truck (88 v3500) i got the motor from has another turbo 400 I have laying on the ground now. Also, my trans dipstick tub apparently has something in it so i cant even check the fluid in the trans on my 78 with out pulling it off the truck n getting the object out >:  Im going to drop the pan and see just whats going on. Im just puzzled as to why it just stopped working. Maybe coils in rad are shot and letting coolent in the trans. thankfully i have an external cooler so if thats the case i can bypass rad completly. the truck did run for about 5 or 10 minutes before engaging trans. anyway, i'll report back later. Thanks!

77DuallyCowboy

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 09:02:00 PM »
Its amazing what ATF in an automatic transmission will do!! :eek  After removing the dipstick tube I found out it was broke at a bend so the dipstick would try to poke out of the break. Then I dropped the pan only to find out it had maybe a quart of fluid in it!!! :x  so I put in a filter n put it all back together, n TADAA!!! IT WORKED!!