Author Topic: Hello all.  (Read 35405 times)

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Re: Hello all.
« Reply #105 on: July 30, 2020, 07:09:51 PM »
I got the new injectors today. I haven’t installed them and cannot say if my overrich situation will be cured by them.

I can say, these things cost me $375+ shipping:

For that price, they ought not look like something sold at 7-11. Seriously.

Put them in a box, maybe with a bit of packaging to keep them from banging against each other.

This package doesn’t look in any way to be valued at the price Edelbrock sells them at.

Jeremy

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
I'm with VZ, it can be a figure head of period correctness...is that a word? Periodic correctness? What evvs...

But by all means, get the knobs right! I haven't seen a radio on this site yet that was correct.

Music note goes on the left.

Image depicting the tuning of amplitude modulation waves to sympathetic components dedicated to isolating electrons that are converted into mechanical energy go on the Right. 
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
Honestly... this radio would have been seriously trick when this truck was relatively new... at least that’s what I’m telling myself.

It works... it’s paid for... just cheesy as all get out.

The Amp I’m using is “period-correct” as well. It’s a beast. I think I bought it at a pawn shop in 1999-2000 and it wasn’t new then. It still works great though. Somewhere I’ve got a multi-knob equalizer... maybe I go totally period correct, save VZ’s suggestion of a hidden Bluetooth receiver running through the eq and into the period amp.

The illusion of being period correct won’t last long when the hood is up though.

I’m pretty sure even the GM engineers of 1991 would be in awe of what’s under the hood.

A lump which seems to be running phenomenally, despite not actually having driven it yet.

The interior is back in, in toto:

The rear seats are the only (semi) original part of the interior. I say *semi* because I’m fairly certain they aren’t what GM sent out the factory doors.

This thing was a RV shop in Calabasas, CA fulfillment. It was definitely originally a bench front seat. I cut the lap belt ends off when I replaced the seatbelts this week. I also had to weld in weld nuts for the inner seat mounts on both sides. I’ve got the Beard seats bolted into to what I assume are GM sliders?!?

I don’t guess projects like this ever TRULY end. But right now it’s dang near driveable and I intend to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labors.

Here’s as the truck sits, right now:

The interior is in. All wiring checks out for function. Transmission controller is happy. Again, I haven’t driven it yet, but mechanically it shifts into all gears, from detent feel. Neutral is neutral and Park is Park.

There’s one last hurdle...

I have the smallest air filter anyone recommends for an engine of this displacement. It’s a 4” x 13” K&N. Raised base, the lift needed to clear throttle linkage.

It won’t clear the stock hood.

It’s not far off, but close only counts, you know, horseshoes, hand grenades and ICBMs.

So I’ve got a couple of choices and I’m open to commentary.

I can:

Get a cowl hood, paint it, install it.

Or,

Cut the stock hood.

If I cut the stock hood I could:

Just have a hole.

Or,

Make my own cowl.

Or,

Think about something REALLY cool like a shaker hood.

I had really hoped (maybe deluded, more aptly) to just be able to use the factory hood and be totally fine with a sleeper.

If I have to have a cowl hood, or a hole of any sort in the hood, it may as well be radical. Some sort of shaker fits the bill. I’m still mulling. I don’t have enough material to make anything. But I don’t exactly have money to buy a hood either.

Decisions, decisions.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline RossVE

« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2020, 12:01:26 PM »
Would something like this work to clear your linkage? Although one is definitely more friendly on the wallet than the other.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2020, 02:58:29 PM »
Shaker style hood would be the cheapest and likely easiest with the exception of design. You could always design the hole in the hood for the breather you want to be in there, weld in a flange for fit and finish...then eventually buy the breather/carb hat you wanted to fill the void. Oh and don't forget clearance for the shaking....
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2020, 07:48:56 AM »
In this case I think I’m gonna “roll my own”...

Or at least have a go at it. I can design and build the shaker air box before even looking at the hood.

To those ends I’m starting at the bottom and working up. First will be the carb/throttle-body flange:

I’ve got some form-tool work this morning to radius the outside edge. I’m trying to use up materials hence the two 3/4” pieces married.
The plan right now is to attach another aluminum ring and a drain pan to this part. The ring will stiffen everything up and support the air filter. The pan will drain rain away from the engine and electronics and function as the bottom of the air box.

At least that’s what I’m thinking right now.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2020, 09:33:40 AM »
Oh Em Gee! Jeremy, you're a fabbin' beast!  8)
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
Hello all.
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »
Thanks shifty!

So guys... the last two days have been... rough.

As of a couple hours ago the shop I’ve shown you guys in this thread is sold. I’ve got 90 days to vacate.

Because I’m a completely rational human being I spent al day today fretting the sale and building this:

Sketchiest lathe setup I’ve ever done. I kept waiting to catch one of these 1-2-3 blocks somewhere:

Fortunately they kept the thing supported and kept the chatter down, but centrifugal force, ya know.

It’s not done, but here’s what I had when I left the shop today:

It’s gonna need some relief to clear the trans dipstick. Thankfully I screwed up that corner anyhow.

I’m thinking just a round hole to start and a slightly taller air-filter.

Not a true shaker hood, but it’s easier to cut more... when I figure out how to cut less, after cutting too much, my ship will well and truly be in!!!

I didn’t get a picture, but the current air filter fits nicely on top of what’s there in the picture. Taller air filter only amplifies the effect of something poking through the hood. I’m out of material at this point, and as of this afternoon, OUT OF TIME!!! I need to drive this thing. At the very least it needs to make it 8 miles to the new shop. Ideally with a trailer, loaded with equipment and material behind it...

Several handfuls of times.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 11:11:13 PM by jeremy.farlow »

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
There's my cookie sheet!!! ;)

Nice innovation!

I feel you on moving-stress level is right up there with death and divorce.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2020, 06:52:51 PM »
Heard.

And I’m moving tonnage. Figure a ton-plus each for the lathe and mill. Probably two tons in tool boxes. Maybe another ton in material. And then comes the smaller tools.

The funny thing is... moving is rather a divorce in this case.

We were never married, but my business partner in the shop venture is also my ex and baby-momma. Save the kid the shop was our last point of connection. I guess the only true divorce would be something happening to Saxon, God forbid. I don’t want to invest time in that hypothetical.

In any case, she has the same 90 days we’re officially split.

I didn’t do bad at all on the sale, but moving will be bittersweet no matter. I’ve got a lot of hours and a lot of sweat in that building.

Hopefully I’ll post a link of video of the truck driving. Hopefully with a trailer with something heavy on it behind the suburban.

In any case, I’ve got bigger irons in hotter fires coming up.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2020, 11:48:23 PM »
Very nice work JF! Best wishes on your move!
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2020, 10:35:37 AM »
Good luck on the move Jeremy!

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2020, 11:03:25 AM »
Thanks guys!

So the smoke has cleared from the building sale. I’m starting to pack stuff up. I’ve got some time, so I’m trying not to totally hamstring the shop and any potential for income while I’m transitioning.

Because, if you hadn’t realized already, I’m SUPER-extra, cardboard boxes just wouldn’t cut it. I splurged on a bunch more U-line containers and lids:

As I’m not totally sure how long it will take to move and unpack I’m labeling EVERYTHING!!!:

I’m working through the third pallet this week, but two are loaded and ready to go. It did dawn on me that I really shouldn’t shrink-wrap them until right before I load them on the truck:

I’ve cleaned up and broken down all the “big” equipment for transport:

The amount of chips I cleaned out from under and around and in the nooks and crannies of the machines was unbelievable. I pride myself on keeping the place clean and didn’t expect the level of debris I found.

If anyone is interested, these are the two products I like for stuff like this:

The CLP is what I use as a cleaner. It foams and clings a bit. It’s great, in my estimation, for stuff like the lathe and mill bed.
The BoeShield is like cosmoline lite... it actually builds a waterproof surface... it’s great protection for the open, cast-iron or uncoated steel surfaces. Obviously I’m not gonna leave my equipment out in the rain, but this should help manage temperature shifts and any water that may get in/on the machines. Same as the boxes, I plan to shrink-wrap the machines, but again, only right before they get loaded up.

I’m still working out the details of the new shop. As well as the current occupant has yet to do anything more than move stuff AROUND the lot. The new shop will be significantly smaller than what I’ve grown to appreciate, so I’m gonna need a strategy to make sure I can still use the tools and work, etc... That said, overall I think the layout will work for me and will make stuff like working on cars FAR EASIER!!! The building comes with 2 10k car lifts as well as an *eccentric* built in apartment. I hope I’m not jinxing anything:

As it stands, I should have some money left over to make a few immediate changes.
I want to put a new roof on... with skylights... and extend the roofline shown above to the fence line.
The concrete pad of the building extends 20-25’ at the back of the building and I want to extend the roofline to cover it as well. Currently there’s an awning, but it’s low.

It cost me $15k to do this roof and replace all the purlins on the addition at my current shop:

The other improvement I view as immediately necessary will be to upgrade the electric service. The building does have 3-phase power, but only 200 amps. I’m not gonna go as big as I did at the current shop (600 amp service) but I’m thinking 400 amps. Also thinking, given the space constraints, that I need to do as much rewiring as I can before I start moving stuff in. Unfortunately, what you see in the photos is the very same inside the building. Out back there’s 12 or so cars... another 8-10 along the side, including this beaut that may or may not belong to the rapper T.I.:

On the truck front, I had it running pretty well. Well enough to notice that I did not do a good job sealing the intake.

One of those *things* that dad always tried to hammer home when he was teaching me my wrenching basics was that RTV DOES NOT GO WHERE OIL GOES!!!!!!!!!!

So my guess is that I just wasn’t liberal enough with the sealant I used for the intake to block surfaces. Live and learn. Hopefully it only takes two times to find the charm.

I got the hood cut and think it will work. Always easier to cut more than less if not:

And I’m really happy with how my shaker pan came out:

All I need is a 3/4” NPT to -8 JIC/AN fitting so I can eliminate the pipe bushing. I even sacrificed a -8AN hose-end and length of hose to drain the pan.

And now, back to intake removal.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline jeremy.farlow

• Frequent Member
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2020, 07:30:21 AM »
Third time was a charm to get the intake sealed. Everything is happy now and oil stays where it’s supposed to.

I’ve got a new Griffin radiator on the way. It seems EVERYONE wanted to give me flak about replacing nearly everything in the engine bay except the radiator. So I caved. Soon enough there’ll be a nice, new aluminum, dual-fan radiator sitting in front of the engine.

I’m also waiting for a TCI remote TPS sensor. The Edelbrock EFI and FAST TCU weren’t playing nice together... I attempted to split the TPS signal to both computers and there was enough “back-bleed” to corrupt the signal to the Edelbrock system. Part of why I was having so much trouble with idle. Both FAST and Edelbrock said the only solution was to mount another TPS to send signal to the transmission controller.

So I’m waiting on parts again...

In the meantime I’ve got the engine bay cleaned up to my liking:

A/C works... in theory... it passes all the factory diagnostic checks, but as it’s totally dry I don’t want to actually see if the compressor and clutch work. Everything else checks out... waiting on three things to drive now, remote TPS, radiator and a rollback.

Be safe and stay healthy

Jeremy

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2020, 09:26:16 AM »
Looking good bud.  :D

98 C2500 ext cab longbed