Author Topic: suggestions on engine upgrades  (Read 15268 times)

Offline txchainsawgogi

suggestions on engine upgrades
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »
On a 1978 chevy 5.7L 350. For now, while I'm fixing it up i'd like to add some power to it... but I'm not sure what to do.

Basically what are good more or less bolt on mods I can do?

I've got a performer intake lying around ill probably put on, what's a good carb to mate with it?

Offline greatdane

• Registered Users
Re: suggestions on engine upgrades
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:34 PM »
Headers and dual exhaust!!!
'84 GMC Sierra Classic SWB 2WD
'08 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab 2WD
'74 AMC Matador 2dr Coupe

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »
Headers and dual exhaust!!!
+1
If you want cheap and easy power do the headers and exhaust, recurve your dizzy and make sure your carb is tuned up. If you really want to wake up that motor swap your cam and get a hotter ignition.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:33:16 PM »
I've got a performer intake lying around ill probably put on, what's a good carb to mate with it?

A properly rebuilt and tuned Q-jet.

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify-Rochester-Quadrajet-Carburetors/dp/1932494189/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279747984&sr=8-1
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline Swims350

• Cars and trucks
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
I'd do an edelbrock carb I like them, but as they said headers, and exhaust, plus the intake, dist. work, maybe upgrade the coil, wires, plugs, do a cap and rotor too. Switch carbs and tune it, then maybe step up to a came upgrade and if you wanted to head upgrade like to vortecs or something aftermarket.
See all our rides and projects at:

www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »
Cool, is the performer intake gonna work with a quadrajet ok? I've got an HEI, what's a good kit to use to make it better?

Offline txchainsawgogi

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:42:56 PM »
I've seen some msd kits but they were a bit pricey.

Offline Layne

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
A little rear gear will give you more kick in the pants.  probably find a junkyard one with better gears for cheap.
77 c-10 - 77 400 86 700r4 "Emmy"
83 citation - 2.5L Four on the Floor!
88 sierra - reman 350 700r4 "Eleanor"
All normal practicality and rational money handling goes out of the window when it comes to my truck.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 09:08:31 AM »
Cool, is the performer intake gonna work with a quadrajet ok? I've got an HEI, what's a good kit to use to make it better?
The quadrajet is a spread bore so it will fit if the intake is a spread bore. It's most likely a square bore though. I put in an MSD streetfire dist. and that has all the MSD guts in it. Then I put in the Moroso kit with different weights and lighter springs. The dist was about $150 I think and the spring kit was $13. You can buy all the MSD components to put in your stock HEI though. It's tough to beat a q-jet that's tuned right. I would keep it if I were you. I have a few that need rebuilding that I will eventually use on something. I have run the edelbrock 1406 and it was ok but now I run a 600 Holley and it's great. It makes good power but the mileage doesn't even touch a q-jet. The electric choke on the Holley is junk, and the edelbrock is the easiest to work on, IMO. Do you know what rear gear you have in it now?
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »
Performer intakes will work with spread bore or square bore carb.'s.  Put that intake on and you can put the quadrajet or aftermarket square bore carb. on later.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:36:35 AM »
Depending on which intake it is, you may need an adapter. I have the EPS 2701 and the q-jet is not a direct fit. Something like the 2101 is designed to use with the q-jet.

Offline jaredts

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
Doh!  Sorry, you're right.  I thought all performer intakes had the dual pattern.  I jumped on Summit and see that the vast majority do, but there's a few that don't.  Can he just look for a dual bolt pattern to determine if it takes either?

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
If it has the spread bore it will fit the q-jet and aftermarket square bore carbs with this adapter.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2732/

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:29:16 AM »
If it's a square bore it will look like this.

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »
Can he just look for a dual bolt pattern to determine if it takes either?
I think so, yes. The dead give away is the oblong intake holes that allow for the huge secondary flaps on the q-jet. I have adapted square bore carbs to stock spread bore intakes but never vice versa.