Author Topic: LT headers are in MY 81 GMC (pics)  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Uno99

LT headers are in MY 81 GMC (pics)
« on: April 07, 2008, 06:45:21 PM »
Got the headers installed on my SBO that last month in my 1981 GMC pickup.  I flex piped the exhaust together for now until I get to the exhaust shop.  I will be running a 2.5" Flowmaster Universal Mandrel bent kit out the back with Super 44 mufflers. I took it for a quick spin and it is up on power so thats good.  Hey, you guys think I really need an oil filter relocation kit???? Yeah I think so.... to bad they are all on backorder.  I'm not driving it until i get one.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 10:47:56 PM by Uno99 »
1981 GMC High Sierra SBO 350 LT Headers 2.5" Tru Duals, H-pipe, Flowmaster SUPER 44 Mufflers 2000 TCI Stall PICS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2410355

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: LT headers are in MY 81 GMC (pics)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 07:07:18 PM »
Definitely run the filter relocator..where are they all back ordered from?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
Uno, Are those A-body small block headers? Is the header also hitting the control arm? The Headman A-bodies fit my truck (455) better than they fit in a Cutlass. There are several different oil filter adapters for the Olds. I'm using the one tilts in & foreward slightly & the small dia. long filter ('80's 307). My guess is that the adapter/filter is not what was used on the car those headers were designed for (you would have that same problem regardless of the fact that your engine is in a truck). The picture does not show it well, but I can get right in there & remove the filter (it has to come out through the "hole" between the tubes) not a problem at all. I can get my hand between the filter & the header. I do have to put the adapter on the engine after the header is bolted up. Lorne

Offline Uno99

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
Uno, Are those A-body small block headers? Is the header also hitting the control arm? The Headman A-bodies fit my truck (455) better than they fit in a Cutlass. There are several different oil filter adapters for the Olds. I'm using the one tilts in & foreward slightly & the small dia. long filter ('80's 307). My guess is that the adapter/filter is not what was used on the car those headers were designed for (you would have that same problem regardless of the fact that your engine is in a truck). The picture does not show it well, but I can get right in there & remove the filter (it has to come out through the "hole" between the tubes) not a problem at all. I can get my hand between the filter & the header. I do have to put the adapter on the engine after the header is bolted up. Lorne

They are on backorder on summit and VSI

Yes they are A-Body header and Yes they were slightly touching the control arm. I had to "massage" it i bit.
1981 GMC High Sierra SBO 350 LT Headers 2.5" Tru Duals, H-pipe, Flowmaster SUPER 44 Mufflers 2000 TCI Stall PICS http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2410355

Offline team39763

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »
I bet it's gonna sound good when you get that exhaust on there.  Longtubes and original 40's sound good, so I'm sure yours will be even better.

Offline Uno99

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:47:21 AM »
Boy oh boy I'm having a heck of a time with the oil filter relocation kit.  Every adapter Ive ordered has the wrong threads!!!   I had to bring to a machine shop to get it drilled and tapped.  And they had to order the drill and tap because its an odd size.  I hate olds

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:02 PM »
Hey Now! Easy on the Olds thing. What brand of headers are those? Did the "notes" say anything about relocating the filter? As I mentioned earlier, there are several stock oil filter 90* adapters. I feel you have a different one than the guy that designed the headers. Some tilt in & forward (you can see in the photo I posted, that's what I have) Yours looks to be the straight down one, they all bolt to the block the same (some require a different gasket though). Some of them had Metric threads (I'm guessing that is what you have). I am not aware of seeing this problem & frequent an Olds site or two. I feel your solution is as simple as a different bolt-on adapter. Let me know what's up & I'll try to help, Lorne

Offline Uno99

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 10:32:14 PM »
 I dont really hate Olds  ;) Just a little frustrating.  ;D My filter is straight down because of the current oil cooler adapter i'm running. Things would work great if I eliminate it but It's a piece of mind thing for me, i like running them.  The notes do recommend using a shorter filter but the headers are from a Cutlass.  I'm sure on a cutlass the filter they recommend would work great but not in my truck :'(  I did try a different filter however and have more clearance now.  I should have the the issue fixed as soon and the machince shop drills and taps the one I bought earlier.  On a more possitive note my new H-pipe, super 44 mufflers, dual 3.5" corsa clone tips and 2.5"mandrel bent exhaust system is almost complete!!  8) Thx for the input Lorne  I'll post up some pics soon.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 10:46:20 PM by Uno99 »

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:00:52 AM »
Uno, Where the oil filter is placed (between the engine & the header) there isn't any part of the truck that would interfear with any of the housings or filters. Are you using a sandwich type oil cooler adapter between the housing & filter? If so, now I see why the filter is so low. The Diesels & some Toronados had a factory oil cooler, the filter housing has holes taped in it for the hoses. Maybe this would help solve your problem. I can post a picture of the housing with the oil cooler if you would like. I would think with the filter almost rubbing the header, your defeating the purpose of the cooler. In this case your heating up the oil, running it up around the world getting it cooled down just to heat it up again. The outcome is likely no better & maybe worse than with no cooler. Just my thoughts, Lorne

Offline Uno99

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »
Are you using a sandwich type oil cooler adapter between the housing & filter? If so, now I see why the filter is so low. The Diesels & some Toronados had a factory oil cooler, the filter housing has holes taped in it for the hoses. Maybe this would help solve your problem. I can post a picture of the housing with the oil cooler if you would like. I would think with the filter almost rubbing the header, your defeating the purpose of the cooler. In this case your heating up the oil, running it up around the world getting it cooled down just to heat it up again. The outcome is likely no better & maybe worse than with no cooler. Just my thoughts, Lorne

Lorne you are spot on.  I do have the filter housing that has holes tapped in it for the hoses and that is why filter is almost hitting the header collector. This is why I bought the oil filter relocation kit.  However, the small adapter that came with the relocation kit does not fit the threads coming off the oil cooler filter housing.  Once that part get drilled and tapped I can then relocate the oil filter away fron the collector.you please poa pic   Can st of yours THX

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline comp

• Registered Users
  • 76-77-78
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 04:09:52 AM »
waiting to see pics

Offline Uno99

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »
Update here are a few pics on the new 2.5" exhaust with super 44 mufflers

Vids will come when I back from the bahamas!! these mufflers sound sick!!!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 02:06:15 PM by Uno99 »

Offline team39763

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 05:56:07 PM »
Where's the vids?  I wanna hear it.

Offline Fordeatinz71

• 78k miles and counting
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 08:45:49 PM »
man that's a nice truck! 
1991 Chevy Silverado K1500 ECSB, 350, 700R4 w/shift kit, 3.42's, exhaust work...
1983 GMC Sierra K1500 SWB-sold :(