Author Topic: Carb help Please!!!!  (Read 9521 times)

Offline unbludictable

• Registered Users
  • Low Down Blu
Carb help Please!!!!
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
I just had a dualjet 2bbl carb rebuilt to fit a new Edlenbrock Preformer Intake manifold to go on my '76 GMC.

I was told that I would need an adapter for it to work so I bought one (Mr. Gasket part#1933) from Orilley's Auto Parts.

The guy who put the intake on told me that the adapter would not fit!! So I take the carb and adapter to Orilley's and they tell me that no adapter will fit the carb I just had rebuilt!

So before I spend any more time or money.....what should I do? A guy in the store was trying to sell me an Edlenbrock Carb for $250 is this a good deal/

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
Re: Carb help Please!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:30 AM »
Get the 1406 carb for around that 250 price and you'll be set...sounds like the perfect match for your intake manifold. Trade the adapter back in on it and it'll be even cheaper.
Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 12:41:14 PM »
Why won't the adapter work?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline unbludictable

• Registered Users
  • Low Down Blu
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 01:16:06 PM »
Vile I was told that it won't work, because the Rochester Dualjet (2bbl) Carb won't fit on the adapter. (Mr. Gasket part #1933) you can see what it looks like on Mr. Gasket's website.

I was trying to save gas by getting a 2bbl.  I guess I need a 4bbl carb with this Edlenbrock intake?

I read a tread on here about Edlenjunk Carbs that scared me! Some say Holley's the best, some say Edlenbrock's the best! I'm new and don't know!

I just want my truck to run, so I can "drive it like I stole it and keep the rusty side up!" ;D

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
I read a tread on here about Edlenjunk Carbs that scared me! Some say Holley's the best, some say Edlenbrock's the best! I'm new and don't know!

NO - Q-jets are the best  :D :D :P
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 06:18:53 PM »
They all suck.. how's that?  ;D

Edelbrock just put's their name on the Carter AFB carburetor. The reason people bad mouth it is because they just slap it on and expect it to act like their fuel injected every day vehicle. They do require fine tuning however are a great carburetor. I have a modified 850 on my 454 that outperformed my Dominator! Q-jets can be great carburetors also but require that specific tuning as do all carburetors.

For fuel efficiency I would go with the Q-jet. You can actually get decent mileage out of one but don't expect any significant leaps and bounds from one to another unless they are not calibrated.

As far as your adapter I still don't get what specifically won't allow it to work?
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline Blue 82

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:08:24 PM »
Here's the mr gasket 1933

Does your Dualjet carb look like this?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 07:18:25 PM by Blue 82 »
82 stepside 2wd 355/th350/3.08 posi

Offline Blue 82

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »
You may have to use something like this and drill a few holes,
this is made by transdapt

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 08:32:45 PM »
Does your intake manifold have a square hole or is it hour glass shaped where the carburetor bolts on?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntt=2+barrel+adapter&N=700+4294925239+4294839063+4294848589+115+4294841155&Ntk=KeywordSearch
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline unbludictable

• Registered Users
  • Low Down Blu
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 12:59:38 PM »
Blue 82, that's it!! And that's my carb!

Where can I find a "transdapt"? I live in MS! And how much?

Vile, my intake has the hour glass type shape where it bolts on.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 12:33:56 AM »
Vile I was told that it won't work, because the Rochester Dualjet (2bbl) Carb won't fit on the adapter. (Mr. Gasket part #1933) you can see what it looks like on Mr. Gasket's website.

I was trying to save gas by getting a 2bbl.  I guess I need a 4bbl carb with this Edlenbrock intake?

I just want my truck to run, so I can "drive it like I stole it and keep the rusty side up!" ;D
Oy use the adapter to mount your two-barrel to the edelbrock manifold in your truck, drive truck back to Parts Store, get the guy to follow you outside to show him it mounted... While he's looking under the hood, give him a swift kick where the sun don't shine, and tell the dumba$$ Thanks for nothing!!!

The Mr Gasket 1933 will work just fine for mounting your dual jet to the Edelbrock Manifold.. Also no other adapter is needed, as the Dual Jet mounting is already the right shape, with the proper bolt pattern!!!  Most of Edelbrock's manifolds are setup for either their Carter Carbs, or their Performance Built/Reman. Quadra-jets, which share the same bolt patterns, so you already have the correct adapter....

Evidence found here, under Mr Gaskets Adapter pics(Just scroll down to the mounting capability chart):
http://www.mr-gasket.com/pdf/carb_fuel_accessories.pdf
Note, the Chart States that 1929 is another Dual to Quad adapter, but that would only be needed, if you had a Stock or GM Performance Parts Q-Jet Manifold....

BTW:  Be sure to have your Dual Jet Properly adjusted after you install it, or your truck will run like a dog(Not in a Good Way!!!)....  Also for what it is worth, a Quadra-Jet is more than Capable of fuel economy, one just needs to properly Adjust/Maintain, and ofcourse keep their foot out of the rear jets(Runs just like a Dual Jet, with two jets to spare! ;))..
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:39:31 AM by Dragon »
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Blue 82

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
If you have the spread bore manifold then this might work

Transdapt #2211
$43.39 from summit

For the most part, a Dualjet is just front half of a Quadrajet
If you have a q-jet and want to save gas,
Zip Tie a block of wood under your gas pedal :)

Offline unbludictable

• Registered Users
  • Low Down Blu
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:22:36 AM »
Thanks Guys!