Author Topic: 87 Chevy crew cab build Ls swap with lots of pics  (Read 82443 times)

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
87 Chevy crew cab build Ls swap with lots of pics
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:41:40 PM »
My 87 crew cab build. Cab off restore, cleaned and painted frame. Everything inside also was painted with sound insulation. Made it to a short bed with blazer gas tank in rear. Gm 14 bolt in rear axle was gutted and everything replaces rear disc brake conversion, chromolly axle shafts. With be doing transfer case brake for my parking brake. Has offroad design 4 inch lift shackle flip. 1 inch body lift. Dana 60 upfront it was gutted also everything new. 35 spline outers upgrade. Crossover steering from order. Changed radiator core support to 89-91 for dual headlights. In process of Ls swap 6.0 motor with 4l80e and np205. All new painless wiring harness.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:53:40 PM by hwh »

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
Re: 87 Chevy crew cab build
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »
I'll post a lot more pics when I can. After motor and paint is done, have black leather seats out of 2012 Tahoe to put in, and amp power running boards. Finish interior.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
More pics

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:58:31 PM »
Pics

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:28 PM »
Truck had power windows and locks changed to manual doors

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
Bought the truck last July. Had been looking for older crew cab for about 9 months I live in Texas couldn't find one. So found one in California, so had it shipped here. And started tearing it apart. Building this truck as daily driver to drive everyday. Decided to go this route instead buying another new truck I have drove ford super duty's since 2001 and want something simple. So building this truck with everything new.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
The truck when I bought it had roll on liner on outside and in cab. Took 6 weekends to get it all off. Painted frame, inside cab that's not getting painted, bottom of cab, and bottom of bed. Ran all new fuel lines and corvette fuel filter was installed on frame rail. Ran all new brake lines with wilwood valve since did rear disc conversation.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 09:06:01 PM »
Got rid of dual saddle tanks, put blazer tank in back with in tank fuel pump ep381. Had steering column all rebuilt and painted. Replace hydroboost and master cylinder.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 09:09:19 PM »
Reused all body parts, where in good shape worked out so don't half to deal with aftermarket fitting right. Did half to buy inner wheel wells from  . The fit was good was surprised how well they fit.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 09:18:54 PM »
Made truck into a short bed. The way I did it most people will disagree but didn't trust cutting the frame behind the cab like saw most people doing. Just something about cutting truck that big and heavy behind cab didn't trust. So I did it the hard way and cut off the back off the frame ended up being 16 inches. Then had to remove but of rivots. And move spring hangers, bumpstop mounts, and make new shock mounts. So far has worked out good. Took some time to get bumper brackets modified to get bumper to set right where it needed to be under bed. I boxed in back part of frame. So made bumper part a lot of messing with.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:18:33 AM by hwh »

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
Got a 6.0 motor with 98,000 miles had it rebuilt with few mods nothing crazy it will have 425-450 hp. With new alternator, starter, water pump. Got a 4l80e from monster transmission, and used np205 that came with truck I rebuilt transfer case. And added high angle drive line transfer case ebrake saw mixed reviews on how well it works so will see. Offroad design tapped out my speedometer housing for the vss sensor on transfer case.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
Truck will be painted nightfall gray metallic its color from new camaros. Rebuilt vent windows with all new parts and had frames powder coated. Replaced all guts in doors. Put sound deadner inside doors. Bought door panels from dashtop only one I could find sold rear door panels. Been hard finding parts for rear part of crew cabs. Using suburban headliner trim and half to make the small piece above rear door that's different on crew cab. From what I have read on that.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 09:44:56 PM »
Stereo system will be 4-6x9s. 2 in front doors. And 2 in rear cab corners. With sub box behind seat with 10 inch sub. Memphis amp to complete system. Bought mickey Thompson classic 3 black wheels. Tires still undecided either 35 or 37 inch tires maybe mickey Thompson mtz p3 tires.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:51:49 PM »
When I bought truck since guy rolled rhino liner like stuff all inside. He took all headliner trim out and headliner and door sills. So making getting that stuff difficult. Just need rear front part of door will on drivers side. Found nos part on eBay for pass side. Hoping someone can custom make headliner cause search everywhere and can find no one makes one. Once it gets painted be making the seats I got out of 2012 Tahoe to fit.

Offline hwh

• Frequent Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
I'll get pics posted when got truck, to where it is now this week. Been taking pics every little step of the way.