Author Topic: battery pos/neg  (Read 2647 times)

Offline jeffaj01

battery pos/neg
« on: September 30, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
79 k10, is there supposed to be any other wires piggy-backed onto the positive and or neg battery cables? If so, where do they run? When I went to look at the truck it started and ran, I bought it, but couldn't take it home that moment. Anyway, long story short the battery didnt end up coming with the truck, so I brought my own, hooked it up, and nothing. I get dash lights, headlights, signals etc, but the starter won't even click. Now I had a few extra wires with the pos and negative, so I hooked them up thinking that was the issue, and they fried! Lost pass headlight and marker. Anyway, got the headlight issue taken care of, but still won't even attempt to start. Now, this wiring loom is far from the stock condition, its definitely been hacked here and there, but I know I'm just missing some sort of wire that needs re ran or something. any advice, short of re-wiring a lot of the truck? It will only mainly be used to run in our local mud sling.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
Re: battery pos/neg
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:30:03 PM »
you should have one direct wire from the battery to the starter its a thick one about gauge 2..... do you have that?

Offline jeffaj01

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »
Yes, directly from the battery to the starter. Ive also got the smaller ones on the solenoid as well that run up into the loom. I'm fairly new to this stuff, have owned a few 73-87's but didn't have to really work on em much.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:04:26 AM »
ok... well if you have the wire directly from the battery to the starter and it looks good and everything the way it should... then the next problem to solve is... the wire that goes to the solenoid when ever you crank it you should get current... that signals the solenoid to work and the starter to turn... you can check that by using a test light... and have a buddy crank the engine.... by the way check your ground... you should have a thick ground cable usually also gauge 2 going to the block... let us know what you found...

Offline jeffaj01

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 08:33:20 AM »
Finally got to look at it. Played with the steering column (tilt) and it fired up. Must be a wire in the column. Thanks for the help

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:26 AM »
Possibly could be you ignition switch.