Author Topic: Mystery fuse block and relay  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Mystery fuse block and relay
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
I’m hoping the wizards here can help me identify what looks to be a secondary fuse block and relay.
The truck is an 87 Suburban, ½ ton 4x4 that I believe came with the Silverado package. If has the 350 with TBI and the 700R4 with the 208 transfer case with the floor shifter and manual locking hubs.

The fuse block below is located under the steering column and a few inches to the right of the main fuse panel.  The relay seen hanging below it appears to have been glued to the bottom of the fuse panel.  The fuse panel is actually 2 4 slot fuse panels connected through some expansion slots (like a tongue and grove connection).

The orange and brown wires coming from the top, behind the metal fuses go to the aftermarket electric seats. Neither seat works and I’ve got no voltage in that wire with the key off or on.  This is a picture of the back side of the fuse block.  To me it looks as if there is no power source to the wires supplying the seats, the orange and brown wires.  With the key off and on I checked every terminal on the back side of the fuse block and I’m not getting any voltage.

My primary concern is that there is a wire loom coming into this thing that does not look to be “hacked together”.  I didn’t capture it very well in the picture but if you look in the background you can see it has green, yellow, light purple, pink and red wires going up into the dash that are all taped together.  I can’t tell if these wires are “source” or “load” but based on the positioning of the wires feeding the seats it appears that these may be going out to a load or some type.

As for that relay, I did some searching on the Bosch part number and it returned all kinds of stuff from a fuel pump relay to a rear defroster relay.  I did find out that the part number is old and has been replaced by a newer number and that it’s a 5 blade 30amp relay. The red, orange and white wires all connect to the mystery fuse block.  The light blue wire goes to an inline fuse barrel and just stops.  Nothing is connected to the other end of the fuse barrel.

My guess is that most if not all of this is some aftermarket stuff that was added to the truck at some point in its life. I know the driver and passenger seats are not factory original.  They are either 6way or 8way power adjustable and the arm rests say “Good Times Conversion”. The rest of the seat are factory so my assumption is that these were pulled from a junk yard and added sometime in the last 25 years.

So I guess my questions are…
Does this fuse block look factory or aftermarket?
If I start disconnecting items one at a time but don’t lose any functionality would be ok to tape off the connections and simply not use them?
To test the seats would it be ok to run a temporary jumper from the battery?  Should I put a inline fuse in that test jumper wire?

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Mystery fuse block and relay
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:08:44 PM »
So I guess my questions are…
Does this fuse block look factory or aftermarket?
If I start disconnecting items one at a time but don’t lose any functionality would be ok to tape off the connections and simply not use them?
To test the seats would it be ok to run a temporary jumper from the battery?  Should I put a inline fuse in that test jumper wire?

* Its a non-factory harness and cobbled fuse block.  At least one of the red wires connected to the common terminal strip in the back of the fuse block is power in.  The SPDT Bosch style relay is a common item used on a myriad of electrical controls industry wide (both OEM and aftermarket).  Those 'metal fuses' are circuit breakers that probably feed the seat motors.
* As you check functionality, you could just pull the fuses and abandon the unused circuits in the supplemental fuse block, or cut and tape them as you mentioned.  But, since you're going to keep the seats(?), you may want to figure out all of the wiring and reuse it.
* Make up a 14-gauge jumper for your toolbox that has an inline 15- or 20-amp circuit breaker in it and use that for troubleshooting.  To test the seat motors, you might want to substitute a 30-amp breaker and 12-gauge wire.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline Tx_Phil

• Registered Users
Re: Mystery fuse block and relay
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply bd.  I kind of thought this was aftermarket stuff but I'm no guru on this stuff so I figured I should ask.

I might keep the seats, if they work. The PO wasn't very tall and he has the drivers seat pretty close to the peddles. With me being 6'-3" I need a little leg room so if they still work then I will keep them for now.  If they are D.O.A. they will be getting tossed in the junk pile and I'll find some manual seats from a junk yard.

Now if only that silly truck wasn't 2 hours away at my brothers house!!