Author Topic: engine running rich  (Read 2738 times)

Offline chevyfan

engine running rich
« on: October 18, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
Hey everyone, I finally got my truck on the road today and it seems to be running rich. It runs good but at times there is black smoke coming from the exhaust and when i speed up it almost feel like it is bogging down and ready to die. After that it picks up and drives fine. I have looked through some books at school and home and havent found out how to adjust the air/fuel mixture. Any help would be appreciated. Also my gas pedal has a real sticky spot and its hard to keep a constant speed, what might be a fix for this? My truck is a 1984 GMC sierra 1500 with a 700R4 tranny and a 305. As far as i know the carb is stock and its a Quadrajet/rochester 4 barrel.
thanks for any feedback as it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: engine running rich
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
The air mixture screws are on the front side of the Q-jet.  They require a special tool to adjust in/out them if they are factory.  

I would lube the pedal cable to see if that makes a difference with it sticking.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline chevyfan

Re: engine running rich
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 09:37:00 PM »
thanks for the help. I lubed my thorotle cable and its much better now and i will take my truck down to work and ask them to try to tune it a little better.
thanks again

Edited by: chevyfan at: 10/22/05 8:37 pm