Author Topic: rebuild question  (Read 3738 times)

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
rebuild question
« on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:14 AM »
rebuilding 350 motor (355).....i have a general question ..is it ok to re  use stock crank and rods with new pistons ....and re use locks and retainers on new heads ....if they fit the new  springs .........
Heartbeat of America yesterday's cheverolet
18T5C10

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
Re: rebuild question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
Sure, as long as everything is in good shape. When you take your block to the machine shop, bring your crank and rods with you. The machineist can mic everything and tell you what size bearings you need to order.  He'll need the rods to install the new pistons anyway. He can also advise on your head / spring questions.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:42:41 PM »
how long can an engine sit after leaving machine shop .......before it will have to be re machined .........i was told to keep in a plastic bag and spray 10w-40 on it to keep it from rusting from moisture  and keep dust off it ....it would be ok .......i was gonna get it machined and work on it a little at a time ........maybe over a 7-9 month period ....
18T5C10

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:41 PM »
Should last indefinitely as long as nothing is allowed to rust. Just don't assemble it until you have everything on hand, that way no rust gets to hide from you.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline bowtieman82

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:28:54 PM »
dont reuse the lock and retainers. they have been warn to the springs that they were on. it would be like reusing bearing. just go buy new ones it not that much money.   when u go to store youe motor spray it with wd 40 and them cover it with a plastic bag and tape it close to keep it clean. and do it every time you work on it.

Offline Camfirchev

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 01:42:48 AM »
how long can an engine sit after leaving machine shop .......before it will have to be re machined .........i was told to keep in a plastic bag and spray 10w-40 on it to keep it from rusting from moisture  and keep dust off it ....it would be ok .......i was gonna get it machined and work on it a little at a time ........maybe over a 7-9 month period ....

I have used ATF in a spray bottle to store parts for years at a time with no problems..  In plastic bags of course.

Offline 305chevy c-10

• Frequent Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
ok ....will get new locks etc.......during assembly will ineed to wipe wd-40 off internal parts 
18T5C10

Offline bowtieman82

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14:16 PM »
no. when u prime the oil system it will clean it out, and when u start it it will burn off the walls of the cylinder