Author Topic: My exhaust ideas, and some questions. Please come in!  (Read 7706 times)

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
My exhaust ideas, and some questions. Please come in!
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:23:48 PM »
Hello guys, let me first start out by saying that I have indeed searched the site on my questions.

Heres what I have. A 1985 C20 with a freshly rebuilt 350/400/4.11. (Longbed) The truck:

I ordered Hooker Headers, 1 5/8" primaries with 2 1/2" collectors. I also ordered 2 magnaflow stainless mufflers, with single 2.5" inlet and single 2.5" outlet.

I am wanting to install the headers, then do an H pipe (within 36" from the engine) then go to my mufflers, then go out above the axle, and out the back. I'd prefer the downward angle exit but might have to just go with the straight out the back exit. Oh and no cats. (all 2.5" pipe)

I have access to a mig, and a car lift, and have experience building custom headers for big block cars with just a box of fittings. So, I'll be doing this myself.

What I have:
Headers and mufflers.

What I need:

Elbows for the H-pipe.
Enough straight pipe to do the job.
Good quality gaskets for between the header flanges.
Either elbows and various fittings to go over the hump of the axle, or a pre bent pipe.

Questions.

1. I know that usually you have to put one pipe above the crossmember and one below, because most are made for that one Y pipe. I dont want this, I want a crossmember that will let me put both pipes straight through with no extreme bends. I searched on this site and found a link to this. But I do not know if this is what would work for me.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CLP-CP9427/

Will that crossmember above solve my clearance issues? WIll it bolt up directly to my frame and allow the trans to bolt up? It says its for my style truck and a 400 trans...

2. Do they make a pre bent 2.5" pipe to go from muffler to over the axles and out the back of the truck, one that I could just cut to fit or add onto?

I appreciate it guys

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: My exhaust ideas, and some questions. Please come in!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:52:16 PM »
I built my own exhaust without using a tube bender and both pipes are above my stock crossmember...but I dont know how different mine is since its for a 4wd...

I used a pair of S bends and it put all the exhaust even with the frame. And I have a Summit H pipe kit.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:01:45 PM by eventhorizon66 »
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 05:43:30 PM »
Thanks for the links. I'm buying the h kit, and the straight pipe. However, I looked at those pre bent pipes earlier and besides being hella expensive (ESP with a $19 fee for shipping each) it also looks like they are bent so that they exit at an angle...not a big fan of that.

I'll have to see about finding some fittings to piece together to do that.

How about the crossmember?

Offline HAULIN IT

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:51 PM »
The crossmember I have I've come to find isn't real common, however it's the ideal one for dual exhaust. I got it from a '74 1 ton with a manual trans, not sure how many years or if there is any more options to it, but that's what I took it out of. I have found that it is unlike what most guys have after chatting about crossmembers & exhausts.
 The picture isn't real great, but if you can make it out...it bolts to the top lip of the frame on both sides with 4 bolts per side & just bends down in the middle, like an old bicycle handlebar. There were no diagonal braces on it (& no holes in it for them) like seen on many other ones, it's never been a problem & it's been in there since the early 90's.
 The exhaust is just some bends I welded together. Good Luck finding the crossmember...maybe someone on here has one they aren't using? Hope this Helps, Lorne

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:06 PM »
Thanks for the help dude.

My dad brought up a good point...If I route both pipes under the crossmember then I'd have heck if I ever wanted to remove the 'member.

Of course I could just cut exhaust but...IDK. Might just do the over and under route thing for now.

Offline eventhorizon66

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:37:52 AM »
Yes, if you do run the exhaust under the cross member, I'd make a removable section.  You can see HAULIN IT doesn't have any problems removing his whole exhaust, but with full tailpipes, you will.
'85 C10 SWB 350 700R4 TKO600

Offline bowtieman82

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
dont use a h pipe it worthless, use the x pipe style, it will help in the long run

Offline 1LOW4X4

• Banned
  • Banned
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
AN H pipe is actually not worthless, and a X pipes are usually done wrong anyhow. I dont have the money to by a full X pipe kit

Offline pocket5s

• 87 Chevy
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
I agree, an H pipe isn't worthless. As I mentioned on another thread, there is one company that built a kit for the new camaro with an H pipe instead of an X pipe because it made more power in that application.  An H pipe won't help in scavenging like an X pipe will, but it will still help in balancing