Author Topic: Headliner  (Read 2352 times)

Offline Deathscythe

Headliner
« on: August 17, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
I have an 86 GMC Sierra that I'm working on and I'm starting to look into changing the interior color. I've researched the dyeing paints for the plastic and vinyl pieces, but don't quite know what to do with the headliner yet.
As for now, the only new ones I've found are in excess of $200, that seems a bit crazy to me.

My question is this, are the headliners in these years of trucks fabric with a backing shell, or are they like some cars that are metal ribs with the fabric attached?

I've recovered the shell type headliners before, I'm hoping this will be somewhat the same.

Offline TYLER-AZ

• New Users
Re: Headliner
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 03:03:08 PM »
I redid mine on my 84, its a shell/cardboard backed liner.
I got the material from a fabric store and some spray adhesive made for headliners ( weldwood?) and its doing good. Cost me like $40?
1984 Chevy Crew Cab Dually 6.2 Diesel Turbo

Offline Deathscythe

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
I figured it would be something like that. I recovered one in an 81 Malibu I had years ago, I just didn't know whether or not they'd be the same or if trucks were different.

Is there padding under to fabric that will need to be removed? I'll ll probably end up using vinyl top adhesive again, it worked great in the Malibu.

Offline 75gmck25

• Frequent Member
  • 1975 GMC K25 Camper Special, 350/TH350/NP203
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »
My '75 had the perforated vinyl headliner for the Silverado trim, and the vinyl was just glued to the fiberboard.  However, the surface of the fiberboard had broken down and wouldn't hold the vinyl up. 

I pulled it all off and put a layer of glue first to stabilize the board surface, and let it dry completely.   Then I glued the vinyl back on, but it still did not hold well.   Its a redo task for the future.

Brucde

Offline Deathscythe

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 09:12:30 PM »
Just out of pure curiosity I poked a little hole in the headliner to see what may be behind it and guage the well being of the board underneath.
Well, I'm kinda confused because there's more fabric and padding above the headliner that is currently visible. The current headliner is tan with what seems to be a couple support wires that run the width of the cab that are stitched into the fabric itself.
What's confusing is that the interior is red/maroon colored with black carpet and a black and red fabric and vinyl seat. I assume the seat was reupholstered at some point, it's not factory. It makes me wonder if the headliner was put up aftermarket without taking out the origional, or if there may be some sound deadening fabric or something else going on underneath.

Offline Deathscythe

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 05:01:06 PM »
Update:
I found a little time to investigate a little further into the headliner, looks like the origional owner put in an aftermarket headliner OVER the original one. So when it comes time to tear it out and redo everything, it'll probably be easy enough to reuse the old backing board. That'll definitely same me a little money.