Author Topic: Would anyone do this  (Read 3928 times)

psc

Would anyone do this
« on: March 27, 2002, 10:26:00 AM »
I figured that I could watch the paper closely and find an 80 something Chevy with 4WD that has a good everything else, like transmission, transfer case, body, etc, but has a bad/missing engine.  I could take my 350, redo the head gaskets, and put it in.  I could probably get this truck for $500 or so.  Does this sound like a good idea?  Anyone done it before?  Luck stories are good!

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: Would anyone do this
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
Your doing what? looking for a needle in a hay stack? A 4x4 truck with everything good on it minus a motor for $500 or so bucks, your probably going to be looking for a while.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Jim in Texas

I found one
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »
If you look hard enough you can find a truck like that.  I know, because I did.  I bought a very rusted 79 4wd from a neighbor for $800.  The float was sticking and it has no AC, but other than that EVERYTHING works.  I bought it three weeks ago and the entire body has already been redone (by me), it now has new tires, a new carb, the interior has been repainted, plugs, all fluids, new coil and rotor button.  The only things I have left to do are a new windshield, paint, and brakes.  All told I have only $1,000 invested in the truck (plus the original 800), and the rest will cost me about $450 because I am painting it myself.  So for about $2,250 I have a practically brand new 1979 Bonanza.  Sure was a lot of hard work, though.  Good luck in your hunt, and when you find it, enjoy making it new as much as I did mine.  By the way, my neighbor wants it back.  Sorry Tristan, its mine now.

Offline Savage4x4

one here
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 05:34:00 PM »
I know a fella with an older model chevy with crap for a body but runs well. Auto with a V-8, full time 4WD though. Body needs some work, if not replaced. he would take less than 800$ for it. Deals are out there!

1979 Sierra -MEAN
2000 425 Expedition - Muddy
PICS