Author Topic: "Custom" Towing Mirrors  (Read 33241 times)

Offline Kimper

• NP203
Re: "Custom" Towing Mirrors
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »
This is a little out of context but is there a way to tighten the mirrors? When I close my doors (either passenger or driver) the mirrors always swing in a little so I am always adjusting them. Any advise?
You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!!!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 03:48:02 PM »
you can take that little screw out of the bottom of the chrome cover on the mirror bracket. slide it up and you will see a couple more screws that squeeze the tube. dont tighten them too much cause theres no nuts the bolts just thread in. but while your at it replace the rubber grommet on the shaft it helps hold it tight imo
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline 1967KaiserM715

• 1985 GMC K1500 w/ 6.5 TD
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
to tell your the truth, I would probably run them with the stock arms(at least height wise) the extend out is nice. as the mirrors are already taller, going under the door window a little shouldn't affect to much anyways.

but at least you don't have 10 mirrors all over the truck. I keep wanting to take a pic, but I am always driving. there is this 90's chevy that has the west coast tall rectangle mirrors, two additional 6 inch round mirrors attached(4 total, two each side), the stock ones, plus some oval ones attached to the front bumpers. looks redonkulous.
Current Vehicles:1985 GMC K10(Daily) 1991 GMC K2500(Daily) 1975 Beetle(not running) 1985 Mercedes 300D(not running) 1952 M35    1967 M715(not running)
 1986 Chevy K30(under repair)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 08:41:50 PM »
This is a little out of context but is there a way to tighten the mirrors? When I close my doors (either passenger or driver) the mirrors always swing in a little so I am always adjusting them. Any advise?
What Irish said.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2015, 08:45:32 PM »

to tell your the truth, I would probably run them with the stock arms(at least height wise) the extend out is nice. as the mirrors are already taller, going under the door window a little shouldn't affect to much anyways.

but at least you don't have 10 mirrors all over the truck. I keep wanting to take a pic, but I am always driving. there is this 90's chevy that has the west coast tall rectangle mirrors, two additional 6 inch round mirrors attached(4 total, two each side), the stock ones, plus some oval ones attached to the front bumpers. looks redonkulous.

The arms on these are stock, they are what came on them. The reason they look really high is because I put them just low enough to swing in and not hit the bases so they fold flat against the door. This way I can go thru the car wash at work or fold them on tight streets, busy parking lots, all the normal reasons you would fold the mirrors in. When they are folded, they clear the bases by like 2 milimeters.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Kimper

• NP203
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2015, 09:18:27 PM »
you can take that little screw out of the bottom of the chrome cover on the mirror bracket. slide it up and you will see a couple more screws that squeeze the tube. dont tighten them too much cause theres no nuts the bolts just thread in. but while your at it replace the rubber grommet on the shaft it helps hold it tight imo

Thanks Irish...
You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!!!

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 09:50:28 PM »
They over all look good.  Personally, i like to down size, but still keep the factory look. Therefore, at some point i will be going from this

To this:

Now your talkin..of course i will have to patch up a hole or two and maybe even drill.  Not sure yer.  But i do know that both style mirrors were offered.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2015, 10:36:25 PM »
I would probably only put those little square deals on if it wasn't my truck to make decisions on. I like to have mirrors that look reasonably sized in ratio to the size of the vehicle.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 06:32:26 PM »
Yeah i hear ya.  I do see them on some of the old ads from the late 70's though.  I'll see if i can find a pic.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
Here they are..

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 07:55:05 PM »
That's a good one. There are 3 out of 5 with the towing mirrors.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2015, 08:15:50 PM »
OK someone break down the different styles of mirrors in that advertisement please. I never quite sure what's what

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 03:29:32 AM »
OK someone break down the different styles of mirrors in that advertisement please. I never quite sure what's what
In that add, there are only 2 styles. The little square deals that he posted with the little arm/mount and the large towing mirrors I just put on with 2 different sizes mounts.

The crew cab in the top left has the extended length mounts (which I hate) stretching almost to the bottom of the door and the heads are folded in towards the cab (which I also hate).

The blazer in the top right and the long bed on the bottom both have the little square deals (which only belong on 1/2T, short bed 2wd's).

The G-body van and the long bed in the two middle pics both have the standard sized mounts with the mirror folded away from the cab (which looks best).

(Everything in ( ) is my opinion lol)

The standard "below eye level" mirrors (the ones I removed off my truck) are not pictured in that add.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:38:48 AM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 07:04:31 AM »
so which ones are "west coast" all the slang terms

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2015, 10:14:36 AM »
so which ones are "west coast" all the slang terms
I Shanghai'd these two pics from google.

Pretty much any and all versions of these ugly contraptions. These things are hideous and I hate them alot haha.

LTZ Cheyenne C20