Author Topic: Getting her ready for the long haul  (Read 1017 times)

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
Getting her ready for the long haul
« on: October 27, 2023, 07:08:02 PM »
I've been on here along time but I have never been a consistent poster here, though you may recall me as I tend to be pretty detailed and include shoot tons of data or pics if at all possible.

heck, when i had an issue with the fuel pump back 10 years ago i had moved to Savannah GA 4 1/2 hrs south of "home" to me. Y'all were the ones who helped. shoot, between Chris, Vile, bd, im forgettin a few but yeah.

So I'm at my night job, using the free time i have researching and narrowing down options and honing in on exacts. I have to put new rims and tires on her, replace the old tank with a fuel cell and it is my choice to replace the feed/send fuel lines while i am at it, completely. A fuel pump is needed but thats an issue in a thread i just posted about here in the appropriate forum. Yep, its a good one.

I am super excited to have her back with me. EVERY DAY. This is a very special truck. So all excitement mentioned? I'm terrified, aint gon line. I did go down last may and tune her up completely, new plugs, wires, dist-cap/button, oil, optima battery. Ran her for a bit and she has sat since. Now its time to go get her.

670 miles roughly. 13 hrs give or take an hour on my driving. My overly analytical mind at this point beginning to conjure up the things that could happen. Nightmares of breakdowns, unplanned tow bills, what ifs. A buddy said, hey man, it breaks down? It breaks down. Grab a Uhaul truck, dolly and finish the ride. Hmm.... sounds like a doable option. So yeah, within the timeframe of the next 2 weeks roughly, this should all be going down.

I'll be dropping photos of it all along the way.

Glad to be back in the mix. I signed up to most of the other square sites over the years but this is the only place i really go to.

Offline Mike81K10

Re: Getting her ready for the long haul
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 07:48:16 PM »
Get AAA motor club. That way if you have a breakdown, you can get it towed.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2023, 09:26:04 AM »
Awesome man, looking forward to the sights!
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2023, 08:33:14 PM »
Check your air pressure before you leave and every time you get gas. If it starts pulling either way, check pressure on the side pulling.

Check the age of your tires, look for DOT and the four digits that follow. The first two are the week of the next two, the year. If they are more than ten years old and you cannot replace them now, drive under the speed limit.

Last, lift each front wheel off the ground and rotate the tire. With your hand on the bumper feel for any grinding of bearings being transferred to the bumper. Obviously if you hear grinding you need to service it.

If it's clean, wouldn't hurt to take off the grease cups and at least pack the outer bearings. If it looks dry and cracked, good time to pull the rotor and pack both inner and outer.

If it looks average, you can squirt some grease toward the inner bearing without pulling the rotor.

If time and money won't allow service, driving slower will keep things cooler. Heat KILLS!

Hand tools, gallons of water, flash light-but you knew that right?  ;)

Look forward to hearing about your travel adventure, be safe, and have fun!
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2023, 12:56:30 AM »
My guy.... heck of a list, i'm with ya. So....

The tires are going to be brand new and I am going with 15x8 in the front, 15x10 in the back.
https://www.bbwheelsonline.com/pro-comp-steel-wheels-rimss-series-51-wheels-rims-15x10-5x127-5x5-gloss-black-44-mm-offset-PCW51-5173/

I don't know what I wanna do tire wise yet but I do know I am going with the old-school d window/racing rim look, all black.

Battery is brand new. A full tuneup was done 12 mos ago but i am going to certainly check all that out. shoot, the front end rebuild kit ima toss in the cab.

Now, what you said bout lifting it up and rotating the tire to inspect for grinding? I definitely wouldn't have done that, but I will now. And thats a plus on checking the bearings. My dad DID actually teach me that.

One time he was laughing at this guy on TV using a tool. Gave the ol "this is how REAL mechanics do it, that shoot don't get in the bearings like this!" bit, right? All the while he's talking he has a gob of grease in his palm pounding grease into it, til he stops and literally points out after knocking off the excess, to see grease actually coming through the seams from the outside in. So, yeah, heck yeah, ima definitely check that out. Sorry for the quick story time. Its crazy I thought about that while writing.

I am debating whether to rent a truck and a uhaul flat trailer, or chance driving it? I will make that decision once I get the rims tires and all that put together, see what we got.

Definitely going to keep yall updated.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 07:57:23 AM by Captkaos »

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2023, 08:01:08 AM »
I would drive it locally for a while get it up to temp and then check to see if everything is up to par.  Check all fluids, along with the above and if you don't fee comfortable after driving it around for an hour then tow it.

Offline Shifty

• I bleed Bowtie red...
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2023, 09:51:05 AM »
Driving it would be cooler, but being broke-down on the side of the road....not as much. 
87 V20 Standard Cab Longbed (current)

87 R30 3+3 Longbed (days of yore)

98 C2500 ext cab longbed

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 03:30:46 PM »
But being broke-down on the side of the road....not as much.

Yeah, that part.

So, from what I'm looking at. I don't WANT TO go the transport route but I just got quotes from a bunch of places.

Honestly, from the initial quotes, its cheaper or about the same price to have it transported vs  my already quoted comparison of full size rental truck for a couple days, bought tow hitch/receiver, rented auto trailer. So, I may just go the transport route. Which leaves me to focus on other things then while i am down and I am OK w/that.

Capt - awww man been a minute brother. Good advice. Definitely in the plans.

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2023, 03:22:22 PM »
10 days later.... $1000 less..... $1700 to go

But dang I got stuff on the way! So thus far I've purchased some torque wrenches and jackstands to help with things. But part wise, from Summit ordered: Package Details:
1) ACDelco 88876933 Pitman Arms 2) Cardone Industries 277522 Steering Box 3) Moog ES2004S - Moog Tie Rod Sleeves, 4) Monroe Magnum Steering Stabilizer SA1932

From Jegs I got a heat shrink kit and these rims for her, wanted to go with the basic  classic racing wheel look
555-681022 D Window Wheel [Size: 15 x 10 ] for the rear
555-681012 D Window Wheel [Size: 15 x 8 ] Front

I dropped the part #s as people who posted theirs over the years doing my research,  really helped me out alot. So, maybe one day the info helps someone else who looks.

I am honestly excited. Right now I don't know yet if I'll be undertaking this by myself or not still, but, I'll plan for just me. I did call my cousin though who is in with a bunch of people who still race cars, so hopefully I can get a little help.

Oh and of course I have the POL front rebuild kit. So outside of replacing control arms completely, this front end is going to be 80-90% new

No more floating and bobbing.

Next round of ordering includes my sway bar/front springs, shock mount relocation kit.

After next week, all I got left is tires and fuel system

Offline 87ChevyR10

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 07:08:43 PM »
The marathon continues..... sheeesh.

Just got:

- #3001 quick release
- Grant GT 4 spoke Challenger wheel
- 3196 short hub kit

Tires, fuel system, shocks. Almost home. Tires are picked(BFG T/A 255-70-15), fuel cell/lines/pump choices are almost locked down.

Definitely made the call for help already.