Author Topic: new clutch wont disengage  (Read 15510 times)

Offline stinkyscooter

new clutch wont disengage
« on: January 02, 2010, 10:23:06 PM »
OK, I replaced my clutch ,pilot,throw out and flywheel. I put it back together and i have no pedal. Before the replacement it had full pressure,but would slip.checked for leaks and bled the system. Still no luck. Seems like something with fork or throw out maybe???

85 k10 350, 4 speed with granny, np208 transfer case. I'm pulling out my hair...Anyone been through this?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 12:18:04 AM by stinkyscooter »
Life aint easy when you're fat and greasy

Offline 1980c10

Re: new clutch wont engage
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:03 AM »
 Did you mean to say your clutch won't "disengage"?

Offline stinkyscooter

Re: new clutch wont engage
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:17:27 AM »
yup, sorry.

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: new clutch wont disengage
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:52:37 AM »
Sounds like you put something back together wrong or didn't bleed it.

The clutch control system used on 1985---86 C and K models and 1987 R and V models consists of a clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder and a connecting hose. Pressure applied to the master cylinder pushrod from the clutch pedal forces the master cylinder plunger and seal assembly along the cylinder bore. As the plunger moves, the seal closes off the cylinder bore fluid inlet and hydraulic pressure is created which operates the slave cylinder. The slave cylinder, in turn, operates the clutch release fork through a short pushrod.
When the clutch pedal is released, the combination of fluid and return spring pressure moves the piston and seal assembly back until it reaches a stop in the bore. When the piston contacts the stop, the seal is behind the cylinder bore inlet (recuperation hole) and pressure is released from the system.

SYSTEM CHECK

Inspect slave cylinder and clutch pedal travel.
Clutch pedal travel should be approximately 8.3 inches, and slave cylinder rod should have a minimum of 1 inch travel, measured at the clutch fork.
Inspect pedal bushings for binding and excessive wear, and the fork for damage, wear and proper lubrication. Replace components that are damaged or worn.
With engine running at normal operating temperature, hold clutch pedal approximately 1/2 from floor mat, wait approximately 9 seconds and move shift lever between first and reverse several times.
If shift is not smooth, bleed system and recheck operation.
If shift is still not smooth, inspect clutch components and repair or replace as needed.
BLEEDING CLUTCH SYSTEM

Fill master cylinder, as needed with new brake fluid conforming to DOT 3 specification.
Raise and support vehicle and remove slave cylinder attaching bolts.
Hold slave cylinder at approximately 45°angle with bleed valve at highest point.
Fully depress clutch pedal, then open bleed valve.
Close bleed valve, then release clutch pedal. Do not release clutch pedal with bleed valve open as air will be drawn into hydraulic system.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all air is evacuated from system. Check and refill master cylinder at regular intervals during procedure to prevent air from being drawn into system through master cylinder.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »
By no pedal do you mean it just drops to the floor?

Offline stinkyscooter

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:38 PM »
just came in from fighting with it. I now have some pedal,but all the action happens right at the floor. When i have the cluth pedal pushed in and release it , the clutch engages in what seems like 1 inch from the floor. Very dificult to get a smooth start,  tires will spin or it will stall if i am not realy paying atention. And like wise to disengage the clutch it has to almost be touching the floor. Pumped and blead for long time at pedal and the only way i got it to work was pumping the slave rod so bubbles came out the master resiv. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks Cap,Thanks Vile

Online VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 08:21:20 PM »
You need to bleed it again.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:33:54 PM »
you should be able to bleed it by the throwout fork with the bleeder screw-by pushing in the clutch until you work all of the air out. keep messing with it and you'll get it. make sure to add fluid as needed.

Offline stinkyscooter

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:58:13 PM »
I did it the way 1980c10 siad and it worked great.  Now I have to adjust to the good clutch responce. thanks guys...