Author Topic: Bed and Tailgate differences through the years  (Read 554 times)

Offline 74_squared

Bed and Tailgate differences through the years
« on: June 04, 2023, 03:55:00 PM »
I’ve done some searching and the link in the parts section to identify a tailgate is dead but my question is…

What’s the noticeable differences other than shape of fuel door on the bed sides? I see there’s 73-76 and 76-87 options on various sites.

Same for the tailgate. There’s 3 different available aside from being plain or having letters on them (73-76, 76-80, and 81-87). Is it just their mounting hardware needs to all match up?

I have a 74 gmc fleetside longbed and currently have no bed at all. Just wondering if there’s any reason to get one year over another. Wanted to run a newer style latch kit that seems to only be offered on the 76 and newer gates.

Running a Boyd tank so no fuel door necessary to match what it “should look like” for a 74. Just want to see if I’m missing something before ordering everything.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bed and Tailgate differences through the years
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 05:21:30 PM »
Lots of differences for the fleetside bed and 74 GMC is unique as "73-74 gate only" which also has the raised GMC embossed into the upper left corner of the gate. Higher trim levels also had the GMC letters atop with the trim. The latches are different and have the lugs on the gate. The gate also has welded locating wedges. The bedsides have the rectangle holes for the wedges to engage into. The links, rods and handles are different. The bedsides have round gas holes. The fuel filler pipes were unique in that they reduced down and don't like the modern day fuel filler. There are other differences that are rather minor like the rubber bumpers etc. Almost every 74 GMC bed I've seen has the rear inner fender extensions and I'm probably forgetting a few things but I'm like 6 beers in right now.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 01:05:28 PM by Captkaos »
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction