Author Topic: Door fit issues...  (Read 4911 times)

Offline TPI84GMC

Door fit issues...
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
Hey all. I have an 84 gmc single cab pickup. I replaced the passenger door with a door off a suburban. Bolted right up no issue but it closes really hard and the lower corner below the exterior handle does not close all the way. No matter how much I try to adjust it I can't get it to close flush with the body in that lower corner. Are suburban and regular cab pickup doors the same? Any tips on how to adjust this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gunrac

• Frequent Member
Re: Door fit issues...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 06:25:03 AM »
I'm no body man but, I had a issue lining up an after market front fender. It was suggested that I get the bolts started, then run a floor jack under frame between door and fender, taking most the weight off the wheel. Then tighten the bolts. It helped considerably. Maybe something along these lines may help.
Have you checked cab mounts?
Never Apologize..........as it shows signs of weakness

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
On the orange truck I am building I decided to replace the aftermarket doors with a set of factory Suburban doors. Far superior to the aftermarket however the fitment is quite different from door to door.

The only way to properly fit the door is to remove the front fender. Install the door and adjust the rear height with the striker (this is your extra hand during the fitment process), adjust the front of the door with the hinges. Leave the inner hinge bolt loose throughout your adjustment until the fender is installed and you are happy with your body lines. Typically the door needs to be a little higher than it would seem in the front to fit correctly. Once you get it where you want it readjust the striker so it serves as a striker latch and not as a means to pull the door into position. You will want the door inward as much as possible to match your body lines and to allow the fender-hood alignment gaps to match. Nit pick it so that you are 100% satisfied before you put the fender back in place. You will need to loosen and tighten bolts about 50 times to get it just right. Install the door seal, make sure it closes nicely, has nice gaps etc. Common error is to have the door too far outward in the front so make sure it is in tight to the cab near the firewall.

Reinstall the fender, tape the door and fender edge to protect it from damage, and to gunrac's point jacking up the truck to take pressure off of the radiator support may ease the fitment. Once you are happy with the body lines, sock it down tight.

I would also recommend masking the surrounding areas to prevent accidental damage.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
I'm sure VZ's method is the correct and proper way to fit doors. When I first got my truck I had to drop-kick the doors to get them to shut, everything was off and rubbing and crooked. I was committed to get them to shut like they did in 77. I changed all pins and bushings and re-shimmed. It was a little better, but still not right. Then new strikers did the trick. Then I added new weather stripping. Now I had to readjust and re-shim again, then adjust the striker again. But I got 'em. Now they close like a new caddy. I never touched the fender, perhaps I was just fortunate.. (my fit lines aren't all that perfect either, just to note)
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline Timberwolf

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 12:37:28 PM »
How is your alignment at the other three corners?  Does your window frame begin contact before your lower door frame begins to close?
Just offhand I'd guess that your upper  hinge is located too close to the steering wheel (to give you a reference.) In order to venture a real assessment though, a picture would help.

Offline TPI84GMC

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 09:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys! I did adjust it last time with the fender on and just kind of gave up after I felt like I couldn't get it any better. Is there a possibility that I need to shim between the upper hinge and the cab to rotate the bottom of the door in? Should the gap at the top and sides of the door be about the same?

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »
The hinges are adjustable at the door and at the pillar so you can see you have a lot of adjustment there hence removing the fender to get the best fitment. You should not shim the hinges unless something is bent. Worst case scenario is a shim at the door end of the hinge but this usually means the door is out of whack but it has to be done from time to time if you can't get it right. Have a buddy help if you can too, it makes things a lot easier sometimes.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
Door fit issues...
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:04 PM »
Quick ques. Can fenders be adjusted forward or back? Not  in or out or up/down. Reason- for better door to fender gap line-up.
Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.  Zechariah 14:1

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »
Yes. After you fit the door, tape the door edge, open it all the way and install the fender with the cowl bolt, pillar bolt, and bottom bolt loosely installed. Rest the front of the fender on the radiator support but do not install any of these bolts yet. Install your shims and align the top of the fender with the body line on the windshield. Snug the bolt on the pillar and if it needs to be spaced in or out more shim appropriately. Once you have this point set, align the bottom bolt and shim accordingly. Next make sure you have the proper shim stack on the cowl bolt but leave it loose. Attach the bolts at the radiator support, snug the cowl bolt and carefully check the door operation and fender gaps. If you have to continue to adjust repeat those steps. When you're done don't slam the hood until you've checked the fitment.
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline philo_beddoe

• 77 C-10
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 08:38:34 PM »
I will have to print this.  But will follow the steps right on. Thanks!

Offline TPI84GMC

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:12 PM »
Awesome info everyone. I'll have to give this a try this weekend! Thanks!

Offline harcorshe

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 08:38:10 AM »
I will have to print this.  But will follow the steps right on. Thanks!

Ditto. Great info. Thanks!
'78 K20
TH400
14 Bolt
205 Transfer Case