Author Topic: Had water in tank...  (Read 3991 times)

Offline scritt83

Had water in tank...
« on: April 05, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »
86 GMC 4x4  305
edlebrock 1406

Discovered that i had water in my gas tank. Ran through some Heet and couldn't get it to git rid of the water. I dropped the tank  and drained and resealed my sending unit. Put fresh gas in it with some seafoam and couldn't get it to idle below 1500 rpm. Runs pretty smooth after 2000 rpm.

Things I have Tried:
-Replaced plugs
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Drained carb and cleaned out
-Replaced carb gasket
-Put electric fuel pump on(buddy had one...still have mechanical to put back on)
-Replaced fuel filter

What to do next? 

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Had water in tank...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:39:35 PM »
Welcome to the site.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline 85 CA SIERRA 1500

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »
86 GMC 4x4  305
edlebrock 1406

Discovered that i had water in my gas tank. Ran through some Heet and couldn't get it to git rid of the water. I dropped the tank  and drained and resealed my sending unit. Put fresh gas in it with some seafoam and couldn't get it to idle below 1500 rpm. Runs pretty smooth after 2000 rpm.

Things I have Tried:
-Replaced plugs
-Checked for vacuum leaks
-Drained carb and cleaned out
-Replaced carb gasket
-Put electric fuel pump on(buddy had one...still have mechanical to put back on)
-Replaced fuel filter

What to do next?
Hi and welcome,
I am also a new guy around here but not new to wrenching, I may not be of much help but I may be able to help generate some good replys and conversation on your issue.
A little more info may help.
When you say she will not idle below 1500rpm, does that mean the motor stalls dead if you turn the idle down or you simply cannot get the motor to drop rpm below 1500 rpm?
How did it run before you had water in the tank?
Do you have the fuel pressure regulated off of the new electric pump?
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Offline scritt83

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:00:19 AM »
I had to turn idle screw up to where it's at least 1500 or it dies below that. Before the water issue it was set at 600-700. I do not have it regulated but did install pressure Gage. Stays right at 5psi.

Offline blazer74

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:33 PM »
Best guess is crud in the idle passages came along with the water blocking idle passages and you must open the butterfly’s enough to bring the main system on line to add fuel to keep running.

You can try to blow out the idle passages through the mixture passages with compressed air or carb cleaner if compressed air is not available.

Unscrew the mix screws counting the turns and remove.  Blow though the holes using all safety precautions. Watch for spraying fuel.
Install the mix screws back where the we’re counting the turns.

Offline scritt83

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:04:21 PM »
Best guess is crud in the idle passages came along with the water blocking idle passages and you must open the butterfly’s enough to bring the main system on line to add fuel to keep running.

You can try to blow out the idle passages through the mixture passages with compressed air or carb cleaner if compressed air is not available.

Unscrew the mix screws counting the turns and remove.  Blow though the holes using all safety precautions. Watch for spraying fuel.
Install the mix screws back where the we’re counting the turns.
I did have some crud when I cleaned it out...maybe I need to do it again...possibly didn't get everything...thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline 85 CA SIERRA 1500

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 04:10:49 PM »
Hi,
Scritt had mentioned in his original post that he had drained and cleaned the carb. I am curious how the carb was cleaned after draining?
At this point in the discussion I am inclined to agree that the idle circuit is clogged and that is the reason the set screw has to be turned in to bring airflow past the mains. Admittedly, I am not well versed in QJ carbs but have encountered this situation in other carbs.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Offline scritt83

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 04:23:56 PM »
Hi,
Scritt had mentioned in his original post that he had drained and cleaned the carb. I am curious how the carb was cleaned after draining?
At this point in the discussion I am inclined to agree that the idle circuit is clogged and that is the reason the set screw has to be turned in to bring airflow past the mains. Admittedly, I am not well versed in QJ carbs but have encountered this situation in other carbs.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Used carb cleaner..

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 12:20:01 PM »
I had a similar problem with high idle, but what I found was caused from ethanol sludge in the carburetor from sitting idle for several months. If you cleaned out the carburetor because of sludge, it's more than likely you need to overhaul your carburetor. I've total broke down my Edelbrock carburetor and found numerous passage inside the carburetor had been clogged up. After my carburetor overhaul, my idle speed was restored.  You might it better route to invest in an new aftermarket or Edelbrock carburetor.

If you have a Edelbrock carb; take pictures during the breakdown and when removing every part do not to forget to the fuel filter screens where the needles and seats are.  When removing the primary metering jets at the bottom of each bowl, be careful not chip away the screw wall when removing passage screw by using a properly fitted screwdriver and even pressure. I used carburetor cleaner, air compressor, small brushes and wooden tooth picks to clean small jet holes. I was able to use the same gasket after cleaning every parts. Use a good work table with lots of containers to hold parts and don't loose those step-up piston springs because they're so thin and very hard to find if they roll away!! Good luck.

Offline scritt83

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 03:03:58 PM »
I had a similar problem with high idle, but what I found was caused from ethanol sludge in the carburetor from sitting idle for several months. If you cleaned out the carburetor because of sludge, it's more than likely you need to overhaul your carburetor. I've total broke down my Edelbrock carburetor and found numerous passage inside the carburetor had been clogged up. After my carburetor overhaul, my idle speed was restored.  You might it better route to invest in an new aftermarket or Edelbrock carburetor.

If you have a Edelbrock carb; take pictures during the breakdown and when removing every part do not to forget to the fuel filter screens where the needles and seats are.  When removing the primary metering jets at the bottom of each bowl, be careful not chip away the screw wall when removing passage screw by using a properly fitted screwdriver and even pressure. I used carburetor cleaner, air compressor, small brushes and wooden tooth picks to clean small jet holes. I was able to use the same gasket after cleaning every parts. Use a good work table with lots of containers to hold parts and don't loose those step-up piston springs because they're so thin and very hard to find if they roll away!! Good luck.
Thanks for the info...

Offline scritt83

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »

Thanks for the info...

Bought new gaskets and took more everything this time to clean better. It's back running again. I now know just because carb cleaner is coming out when I spray doesn't mean it's clean.