Author Topic: rear disc conversion  (Read 3805 times)

Offline daman02

rear disc conversion
« on: August 01, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »
Has anyone done the rear disc conversion.  I'm wondering how much i can buy a kit for and what all it would consist of to install.

'86 C10 Silverado 350 with 700r4 and 2500 stall
Dropped 2" in front and 2" in rear but soon to b 4" in rear
18x10 wheels with 295/45 18 tires

Offline lowc10

Re: rear disc conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 11:31:00 PM »
ssbc is 750 or 850 one of the two, just rotors and callipers. The install is in last months truckin

Offline Pushrod

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 09:11:00 PM »
Why couldn't late 70's trans am and Z-28 rear disc's be used. I think (don't quote me on this) they have the same housing end bolt pattern.
 Another thing to think about with this swap would be the outside diameter of the axle flanges on the two different vehicles. If the trucks axle flange is larger than the cars then it will have to be machined to the correct diameter so the rotors will fit. Also the rotors would have to be drilled for the 5 on 5 bolt patern. And one other thing, the distance from the housing end to the outside face of the axle flange would have to be the same(or at least close). Is anybody following me here?
 Maybe even easier to see if the two axles are the same length and simply just use the F-body axle.
 I read here some where that a lincoln - versailles 9 inch ford rearend is the same length and already has rear discs and the 5 0n 5 bolt pattern. I challenged my buddy in Fla. on it since he had one of those ford rearends sittin around and now he's usin it on a stepside he's building for someone. I flew down there a month or so ago and a frame off resto is going on. Frame and chassis in paint when I saw it.
 Maybe somebody has done the F-bomb swap and can fill in my void of lack of knowledge with our trucks. I'm interested...

Junkie 77 Stepside AKA "The Sanford Machine"
81 Malibu 350 and a 4 speed

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 01:46:00 PM »
You can piece a kit together if you want by using Caddy Calipers and TSM or Caddy rotors.  De Villes had 5 on 5 bolt pattern with discs from the factory.

Here is a write-up Swervin did on this:
www.73-87.com/7387garage/...ardisc.htm

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline lowc10

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
i have heard of that way a couple times

Offline Copper Canyon

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure that you can use the set up from a 96 impala SS, and then make some brackets

Offline Copper Canyon

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »
I did some more research on those Impala brakes, and if you have a 10 bolt rearend with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, they are a bolt on.