Author Topic: New to board: Stereo/electrical issue  (Read 3784 times)

Offline samseye

New to board: Stereo/electrical issue
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »
I just recently bought an 84 shortbed and need some help.
Today I installed a new stereo to replace the one that came with the truck.  Some where along the way somebody had installed an audiovox tape deck that was missing the removeable face plate.  That deck was (+) wired into place on the fuse box by the radio fuse holding the wire in place.  While having the dash out to install my new speakers for the front, I decided to see if I could find the actual (+) line.  After taking the AC/Heater control bolts out I found a plug with a yellow, gray and black wire hanging behind the unit.  The yellow wire had already been cut.  Checking my Haynes wiring chart...yellow was the color of the radio (+).  So I hooked up the stereo red (+) to the yellow and cut off the rest of the plug and taped off the end of the gray wire (for radio lights according to haynes).  Finished the wiring, running new lines to behind the seat, checked the stereo and everything worked great and then put everything back together.
Tonight I decide to take it for a spin.
Start her up and turn on the lights.  Now I have no dash lights, my right turn signal light stays on in the dash, my turn signals don't work and I have a buzzer that I did not have before...figured out that was the safety belt not being buckled.  That never went off before but figure I must of had a short and must of wiggled it out in running the speaker wires back.
Anyhow, checked the fuses and can't seem to fine any fried ones.
Reached my hand up and tried to look up to the back of the guages and can't seem to find anything looking disconnected there.
Now I am wondering if that (+) line on the old unit was ran to the fuse box because this issue.  As a side note, my AC/heater unit is not working before all this, but the back light on it was working and still is.  I can get advice on get that figured out on a future post if this is nonrelated.
Anyhow I also wondered did I screw something up in what I did?
I thought about taking the stereo back out and running like the old one, but at the end of the day, I want the wiring to work as it should and not be running around an electrical issue.  Especially since I have a dead AC/heater controler.
One last note...I found a green wire with an orange plug coming from the fire wall behind the brake pedal not pluged into anything.  Also there is a purple/white wire plug on the column not pluged into anything.  Since I have no idea what any prior owner was up to, I figured it was worth mentioning.

Thanks for any advice!
David

Offline MRDALLIS

• New Users
Re: New to board: Stereo/electrical issue
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 06:54:25 PM »
Same here, 78 c10 inline 6. No heater or defrost and no dash lights. Previous owner tried to install aftermarket radio and after dismantling the dash I found that same yellow, grey and black 3 wire group linked to a plug that wasn't connected to anything. Based on what you found I assume that it is the radio harness wire. I am stumped reading the factory wire diagrams uploaded here. I will try going old school confirming grounds and voltage test all dash wires one by one tracing their source.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: New to board: Stereo/electrical issue
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 07:19:38 AM »
Check your fuses first.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10