Author Topic: 16.5 Wheel - Breaking a bead  (Read 8940 times)

Offline TimK

16.5 Wheel - Breaking a bead
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »
I have a set of aluminum wheels with 33" bfg's.  They have been on there for 15 years.  I bought a new used set.  When I removed the air valves and the tires deflated on the new set ... all 8 beads broke. 

I have been jumping up and down on the old set, dousing with WD-40, lowered the rear wheel onto the tire and the bead did not break.

Any suggestions short of making at least 5 round trips to the garage with my jap car.

Any of you trail guys have any ideas? 

Thanks

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
Re: 16.5 Wheel - Breaking a bead
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:36:48 PM »
I have seen someone lay the tire and rim flat, line it up with a truck and drive over just the tire to put downward pressure. Make sense?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:31:57 AM »
or put the tire under the truck and use a high lift (I guess you can use any jack) and then try to jack the truck up the bead will fail just be careful the jack can slip off the tire
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:33:27 AM »
Find a buddy with a truck or trailer and get to a tire machine.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline TimK

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »
I have seen someone lay the tire and rim flat, line it up with a truck and drive over just the tire to put downward pressure. Make sense?

Yeah - that makes sense.  This is a 1 ton K30 and I lowered the rear brake drum onto a 2x4 that is sitting on the tire right up against the rim.  Its been there for at least a day.  Maybe the shock of driving onto in would would make a difference.  I'll try that tomorrow.

Offline TimK

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:02:59 PM »
or put the tire under the truck and use a high lift (I guess you can use any jack) and then try to jack the truck up the bead will fail just be careful the jack can slip off the tire

Yeah, that would put the weight right where you want it.  The brake drum is sitting on a 2x4 that is sitting right across the whole tire.

Offline TimK

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
Before I spend any money, I was thinking of drilling a hole through the tire by the rim and put a 5/8" threaded rod through it and put some 1/4" thick plate on either side and turn the bolts ... or get a vacuum that the hvac guys use and pull a vacuum on it and see if it collapses ... that wont work.  

I guess as a last resort, I can weld up a big square U and put some threaded rod and plate and tighten the bolts and see if that would work.  

Thanks guys!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 10:05:55 PM by Captkaos »

Offline Psycho71

• Registered Users
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:15:52 AM »
I work with the HVAC vacuum pumps. Don't bother. They are good for their intended purpose, but they ain't gonna provide enough vacuum to break the bead on a tire. Especially not one you're already having problems getting it to break.

Driving over it seems like the best at home solution. Getting a buddy with a truck to take you to the tire shop is almost a fool proof solution though.
There are two tools needed, duct tape and WD40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD 40.

Offline TimK

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
I work with the HVAC vacuum pumps. Don't bother. They are good for their intended purpose, but they ain't gonna provide enough vacuum to break the bead on a tire. Especially not one you're already having problems getting it to break.

Driving over it seems like the best at home solution. Getting a buddy with a truck to take you to the tire shop is almost a fool proof solution though.

Driving over it ... yeah probably.  I just got a 10 ton press but it is pretty narrow and I couldnt get the tire situated to get a good press onto the bead. lol ... yeah, the vac idea was lame.    The jack on the bead is a good idea except that there is probably only 1000# on the left rear axle. 

This tire shop idea ... you guys always leave off the part where you write the check.  I'd rather spend the money on a tool so I would have it if I needed it again.  If I wrote a check everytime I needed a service performed ... I'd be living in an apartment in town and would have to walk everywhere.  So for me, it's worth it to me to just wrestle with this thing for another day or so.

Thanks - Tim

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »
Before I spend any money, I was thinking of drilling a hole through the tire

If you are going to trash the tires anyway just cut them off with a sawzall. Skid steer loaders work real good for this kind of thing also. Or you could take it to a tire shop before you hurt yourself or break something. My $.02
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline fitz

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 03:50:55 PM »

So for me, it's worth it to me to just wrestle with this thing for another day or so.
Thanks - Tim
[/quote]

I guess it all depends on what a day or so of your time is worth.
Nobody's faulting you for trying to save a buck when you can, but I've seen and heard of people dismounting tires in some time consuming and unsafe ways.

Offline 78 Chevyrado

• Z62 ON-ROAD
  • Site Supporters
    • My Photobucket Site
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 05:41:14 PM »
Mainly I take mine to a tire shop because I've tried all the ways above over the years and I always ended up with a messed up wheel.  something I was using would always bend or crack the rim when something slipped.  I have one of those manual tire removers too, while it will usually break a bead, getting the tire off the rim always screws the wheel up.

Here's what I'd buy, they work great!
http://www.jcwhitney.com/tire-bead-breaker/p2004021.jcwx?TID=8014524FT2&zmam=15972153&zmas=21&zmac=129&zmap=14021G
Kenny

1978 C-20, 350/400, 3.73, Graystone Metallic, Raceline Renegade 8 Wheels - 18x8.5, 275/70R18 BFG KO's

Offline williebm3

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
Go to any Napa and buy a regular bead breaking hammer and a couple of tire spoons. Do not use wd-40 on it as it will sofften the rubber and make it stick even more. Try Dawn dishwashing liquid or equivilant. Or just break down and take them to the tire store before you hurt yourself or someone else.

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 03:02:12 PM »
Can't you hammer a screwdriver or breaker bar down between the rim and tire?
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60