Author Topic: How to drain fuel  (Read 8195 times)

Offline 794wd

• New Users
How to drain fuel
« on: September 18, 2014, 05:14:34 AM »
I have a 79 C20 that has been sitting for several years.  It turns over fine but I'm thinking I should drain the gas before I try to start it.  Is there a way I can do this that will get the fuel out of the lines as well as the tanks.  Also, I changed the engine oil and am wondering if there is anything else I should do before starting it.  I'm either going to sell it or put it back on the road, and don't want to jeopardize either one of those possibilities.

Thanks!

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: How to drain fuel
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:42:01 AM »
what people do around here is punch a hole in the tank, but then you have to replace the tank. two options come to mind one is siphon the fuel out and put fresh in. the other would be to siphon it out and then drop the tank rinse her out and replace the fuel sock. wouldn't worry too much about whats in the lines a fuel filter should catch that. you be surprised as to how old the fuel can be and still start and run.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »
I use an electric fuel pump to capture the old gas, filter it through a paint cone strainer and use it up 1 gallon at a time.  Just take the line off the mechanical pump
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Don5

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »
 I just went through this same experience with my 1979 GMC that had been parked since 1991. I suggest using the mechanical fuel pump  to pump the old gas out into a container via a rubber hose. I would go down to O'reilly's and buy a small preformed fuel/brake line to thread into the carb. They sell the ends that are only a couple of inches long and not very expensive.

Here is what I did with mine. I used a hand powered transfer hose, aka siphon hose, hooked to a container of gas and the other end attached to the new gas line. I had my son hit the starter while I stood with a can of starting fluid to help it start. My neighbor stood holding the hand pump. He regulated the gas flow to the carb simply by pushing the handle down. It was very simple and worked very well.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you can look at the exhaust and see if it smokes. You are running fresh gas through the engine and if there is any problems internally, it will smoke. You want to check the oil when you are done to see if there is any antifreeze in it. I hope this helps.

BTW- I still had to drop the gas tank and replace it along with a new sending unit and all of the related rubber hoses.
It's been a LONG time since I have been called a newbie. Just sayin....

1979 GMC K15 355, SM 465, 205, 3.73 Dana 44 with a Spartan Locker, 12 bolt Eaton limited slip and 6 inch lift with 36 x 12.50 Super Swamper TSL's.

Offline 794wd

• New Users
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:41:11 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback.  I just now had a chance to check out the posts.  The one tank is almost empty and the other has 1/4.  I think I will try either siphoning or the electric fuel pump idea, put some fresh gas in and see what happens.