Author Topic: Pulling old 350  (Read 9075 times)

Offline Low82C10

Re: Pulling old 350
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 05:51:21 PM »
WOW!! thanks everyone for the information, i been saving up the last few weeks and ive got enough for a rebuilt 350. im almost90% percent sure i have decided to go with 5.3 swap. i already have a good 700 trans i can mate with the 5.3 with the adaptor from advance adaptors. i figured i can get a 5.3 for 600 bucks plus get a computer and harness for a few more hundred. might as well make the right choice now. today i started to take apart all the emission stuff all the vac lines and even though im leaning towards the 5.3 im still labeling everything w sharpie and labeling what the hoses went to, just in case something goes in a different direction. i super excited about this swap i just hope everything goes super smooth with out any problems. anyone in arizona near chandler willing to help? haha.

Offline Low82C10

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
i found what i think is a really good deal,its a 4.8 complete with computer and harness and all accessories for 800 bucks. now my question is, is this a decent deal? it has 90k from a roll over truck. and also how much of a difference between this 4.8 and a 5.3 should i pull the trigger and go for it? most 5.3 are 100k from junk yard,for about 600-800 no accessories or harness.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
Compression and leak down test is needed when ever I buy a used engine

Offline aaronwilliams

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:01:46 PM »
This is an 82 c10 so the old 350 is carbureted? If your new to engine swaps you'll find it much easier to put the same thing back in. I'm not sure about pricing or what the differences would be for a 5.3 or 4.8, but if your yankin a 350 out and want a simple no headache swap throw a 350 back in. This way all other components including fuel delivery can remain the same.

Otherwise your introducing more variables into the mix. A different engine would certainly work just so long as your comfortable installing mount/bellhousing adapters, and it sounds like a different wiring harness, ecm(TBI system?), and other required sensors.
Running: 1988 Chevy V30 Custom Deluxe C&C dually 454 4bbl, 1995 GMC K2500 Suburban 454 TBI
Projects: 1968 C10 stepside 350 TH400, 1987 Chevy V30(rusty c&c) dually 454 TBI

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:06 PM »
I would pass on the 4.8. actaully if I was going to go through the effort I would skip the 5.3 as well and go with the 6.0 and cam it as well. if money or time was tight I would stick with a 350 that is a direct replacement. It does take quite a bit more effort to get one of the newer engines in that truck.

Offline Low82C10

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »
I under stand the effort but its not my daily driver. Now another thing is I'm not looking to build a race truck just want to, I guess rebuild this truck as a project. So I just want a decent motor to get me around town I don't care much for it to run 12's on the 1/4. So wouldn't saying skip the 4.8 and 5.3 and go with the 6.0 like saying just go with a 454?

Offline Low82C10

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 11:27:42 PM »
Can you do a compression and leak down test on a motor out of a truck?

Offline jaredts

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:06 PM »
You could do a compression check, but you'd have to have a battery hooked up to the starter and a remote start switch and a battery charger.  A leakdown test would tell you everything you need to know, but you need a compressed air source and the tester.  If you're doing an LS swap, you'd better look into it thoroughly and make sure you've got enough money stashed away.  There are a lot of little details that cost some dough.  Add vortec heads to a regular 350 if you want something a little better without the extra headaches of a LS swap.

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 08:47:36 PM »
I under stand the effort but its not my daily driver. Now another thing is I'm not looking to build a race truck just want to, I guess rebuild this truck as a project. So I just want a decent motor to get me around town I don't care much for it to run 12's on the 1/4. So wouldn't saying skip the 4.8 and 5.3 and go with the 6.0 like saying just go with a 454?
If fuel injection is your goal; then the ls motor is a great option. the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 take the same amount of modification to install the 6.0 is going to offer a lot more power and probably offer fairly close to the same mpgs. a 454 would be nice for power but won't offer reasoble mpg. A cammed 6.0 could get you in the 12's. So if you're not looking for power just dependability and a good engine I would still step up to the 5.3 I would expect to fairly easily find one for 800 with the harness computer etc.
I was in your position last year looking for an engine. Like jaredts says; I used a regular 350 with vortech heads. The engine has an old school look, runs smooth, and gets 17-21 mpg. I'm guessing my truck could run in the 12's as its taken 13 second cars. I was looking for quality and bang for the buck,reasonable mpg and good street manners. I also wanted a clean engine bay. I have no regrets with this option at all.

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »
     A fuel injected engine should always give you more economy (if kept tuned right), it falls down to weather the cost is worth it to you to do the swap.  I am with 1980c10, all my old vehicles have had the carb. engines on them and have been happy with them.  I am planning on doing a FI swap if I pick up the truck I might later this week.  (looking at a 74 or 75 2wd truck, will be first 2wd I have owned)
     I plan on using it for my D.D. until I get my 74 k10 done, then it will be time to transplant a FI power house into it, at least that is my plan now.  Oh course that will be after much searching and learning and stashed back up money, I know how things go the first time you are learning something new.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline Low82C10

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 02:41:02 PM »
with a 350 and vortec heads your guessing in the 12's? wow thats pretty good. you know after thinking about it, maybe i should just stick to a 350.i guess im just so over a carb. i bought this truck a few months ago and it has been nothing but problems. ive spent over 2000 on this motor already and it has been nothing but problems. 1st it was the intake manifold was leaking heavy and every other were oil can leak out of it was so i got all that fixed, then the timing was off it wouldnt start then got it running but carb was messed up, anyways after it was all said and done the compression was very low on all cylinders. like i said i guess im just scared the same thing is going to happen, but i shouldnt think that was as it will be a fresh rebuilt engine.

Offline 454Man

• Why Race?
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 03:36:03 PM »
You shouldn't think that because you have to remember. Most folks just hop in and go, forgetting about oil, antifreeze, spark plugs and wires, and just all around maintenace/ tunings. So by the time you get it its no where like it should be. Fresh build and take care of it and with the properly tuned carb and timing you'd get just as good mpgs and hp as a fuel injected motor

Offline 1980c10

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 06:39:39 PM »
My 350 isn't completely stock but fairly close. It is a '74 block w/ '96 vortech heads(heavier valve springs and a radius valve seat grind). I have a mild cam, flat top pistons, edelbrock performer rpm intake, holley 670 carb w/larger jets, flotech headers. Also I run no a/c and an e-fan. I have also done a 5-speed conversion. It is also balanced and dyno tuned. The #' s are 393 hp and 432' lbs tq. I also run 91 or 93 octane fuel.
I would like to convert to a fuel injection system but most affordable kits I see only flow around 500ish cfm
I don't want to spend a lot of money and potentially lose power. The draw back of the carb for me is having to warm it up for it to start running properly and having to change choke settings for temperature etc.
As with any vehicle staying on top of little problems prevent them from being big problems and piling up.