Author Topic: I have square port heads cant find headers  (Read 11178 times)

Offline thachevythang

• Registered Users
I have square port heads cant find headers
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:52:06 AM »
The vortec heads I have on order have square port exhaust. I was going to order summit full length headers but they are oval port. Can I order a welded flange kit and not have any major issues? I did find round port on jegs that will probably work out better but on a tight budget now.

I know these are for mopar but they look like they might work. Could be worth it not having to spend extra on the flanges.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/30081/10002/-1
'85 SHORTBED

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: I have square port heads cant find headers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »
 I believe your getting different peoples opinion of what shape the exhaust ports are & it's making it seem worse than it is (unless these heads have been intenionally ported to some square shape other than stock).
 The Vortec heads use a traditional gasket & header port. Yes some gaskets & headers have wee little round ports (1 1/2" tubes), but the normal ones have a 1 5/8" tube which is bigger than a regular SBC port & also the Vortec. You have little to be concerned with assuming you buy a quality header that fits your truck.
 Here is a stock size Vortec head...I have done some portwork in the runner, however the port exit shape & size are factory. The second picture is my 1 5/8" tube headers...the round area is just bigger than the squarish shaped port. Hope this helps. Lorne   

Offline thachevythang

• Registered Users
Re: I have square port heads cant find headers
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:34:55 AM »
Sweet, that clears it up! It stated square port exhaust on the site but, pictures are worth a thousand words! Thanks Lorne. Weight off the shoulders now.
'85 SHORTBED