Author Topic: Carb's .....Dont just pass this up ...  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Redneckchevy

• Photo Bucket
Carb's .....Dont just pass this up ...
« on: January 28, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »
Im about to Get a new Carb for my truck and i just wanna no what u all think is better....The truck is gonna be used for offroading and pulling .

Results (total votes = 24):
Edelbrock 12 / 50.0%  
Holly 5 / 20.8%  
Rochester 7 / 29.2%  

1986 Chevrolet K10 Swb "Women love the hood scoop"
1997 Chevrolet K10 Lwb "Dunno what women love"

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Carb's .....Dont just pass this up ...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 04:39:00 PM »
You don't want to use a Holley for offroading, if you ever get off camber, truck won't crank/flood/etc...

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline aprice

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 03:13:00 PM »
I'd say edlbrock but then i have seen holley came out with a new carb for offroading. cant say how good it is since i havent had the money to buy one to test it. And anything is better than a quadra jet

Offline PaulCline

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
I'm running a Holley Truck Avenger on my truck. Haven't had any problems with it at all. It does well over rough terrain, at side angles, and inclines. I'm quite happy with it.

Offline Silver78ado

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
Edelbrock makes a great truck carb the..AVS..thunder heard good things about it..prob around the same price as a holley avenger..both are great carbs.

Offline dearhuntn

• New Users
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »
Hello
I thought about buying a holley truck advenger with the pring loaded needle and seats the say they can go side to side about 30 or 40 degree in both directions and 30 degrees front and back.
                 Rick

Edited by: dearhuntn at: 4/1/05 10:28 pm

Offline k10caddy

quadrajet - best option imo.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 02:50:00 AM »
I had an edelbrock on my truck previously, 750 which I think was too small) and I had the q-jet rebuilt. I put the q-jet back on and it is much better when I'm out 'wheelin than the edelbrock... lower idle speed and doesn't load up on the steeper angles. I haven't tried a truck avenger yet, so I can't say one way or the other.

I've noticed some people don't like quadrajets because they can't tune 'em - q-jets are nowhere near as easy to tune as a holley or an edelbrock. but if you can it'll be the best you can get w/o FI. well imo, anyway.  :evil  

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: quadrajet - best option imo.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »
Well, I too prefer the almighty quadrajet.  You can mud and climb all day and still, above all else, have plenty o' fuel to get home with.  They run great and don't hesitate at all when tuned right.  I have the stock GM Iron intake and a 750 Q-jet on my 78 chevy with a 350 engine, 350 turbo trans, and a crane energizer 284 cam.  The cam and carb and intake seem to work pretty decent together.  I did not build this engine, it was just what came with my truck and it runs really well.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
carbs
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
It is funny seeing how individuals like edelbrock but not quadra jet, or vice versa.  Well, sorry to say, Edelbrock now makes the quadrajet.  So, if you say you don't like edelbrock but love q-jets, or the other way around, do you homework.  Rochester doesn't make q-jets anymore.

Me, I love edelbrock and q-jets.  I have a new #1903 QJET from PAW (www.pawinc.com  $480) on my '79 truck 383 stroker and it pulls 7,000 lbs easily over the mountains w/ a 308 rear.  So, my vote for pulling is Qjet.  I didn't have to adjust it, it was right on from the get-go. Just bolted the new qjet up to my new 383 and took off.  I use the Edelbrock Performer intake 3701 (w/ EGR). She can idle at 500 rpms and scream over 4000 rpms.  For good info on these carbs/intakes go to edelbrock.com.

Edited by: SgtDel at: 4/19/05 10:19 am

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: carbs
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
If we are being technical, actually Magneti Marelli Powertrain makes the Q-jet Carb (spread bore) and the Performer and AVS Carbs (square bore) for distribution by Edelbrock.

When people are talking about the Edelbrock Carb they are talking about the Square bore carb, when they mention Q-jet they are talking about the Spread boar carb.

I personally prefer the Q-jet spreadbore over the Edelbrock squarebore.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 4/19/05 1:18 pm

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Qjet
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 01:41:00 PM »
I didn't want to get that technical, we can't vote for Magneti Marelli on the post above.  But, all the info is on Edelbrock.com....pasted from website....

Manufactured by Magneti Marelli Powertrain USA, Inc. with all new components, Edelbrock Q-Jets are not reconditioned. They are 50-state street legal for the Chevrolet/GMC vehicles listed below and they also replace stock Rochester Quadrajets listed on cross reference guide

But the main thing is the Edelbrock name is plastered now all over these carbs with their famous red metal tag.  

Thanks for clarifying.

SgtDel

Offline BruceLopesJr

Re: Qjet
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »
Holley or bust, and I've used them all.  Easy to use, easy to tune, easy to fix, and everyone has parts (and knowledge) for them.  

Offline 77c15

• Frequent Member
  • combustion=suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • My cardomain site...
holley, aka fire hazard
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »
Even the tech at Holley told me that the carb spraying fuel from the floatbowl onto the firewall and causing the fire in my parts truck was "normal wear and tear" because a Holley has to be retuned with every oil change, and internals replaced with the "trick kit" every 30k miles.
-Mike

Stomp my flag and I will stomp your @$$!

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: holley, aka fire hazard
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »
Ya'll are teetering on the edge of getting this post locked.

EDIT:  I removed questionable content.  Post ONLY if you are not downing someones opinions.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Edited by: roundedline at: 4/25/05 1:20 pm