Author Topic: what is the bonanza package?  (Read 51332 times)

Offline Cheyenne

• Registered Users
Re: what is the bonanza package?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 03:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the info was the package trim only or was it performance and paint to? Was there a badge on the outside of the truck saying that to I like to learn history..

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 03:39:17 PM »
My 78 has the VIN in the door frame.
Yeah 79 was when they switched the VIN to the dash. I see a good looking 73-73 grill in that pile of parts. Nice.
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline 79chevykid

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
so iv been looking and looking and i havent found much about it, i found this page http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/models.html if you go to the bottom it just says "The Bonanza had Bonanza emblems on the front fenders. It was a sales incentive program of some sort." it would be nice to find an original one to compare a plain custom deluxe with.

that 73-74 grill i got was probably the best deal i got all weekend, theres absolutely no cracks or fading, even the emblem is nice. i saw a couple other ones there that were going for big money. the other grill i got was free, the guy said he likes to see the kids getting into it (i was told that alot all weekend) but, its got alittle crack on top also has the 400 emblem that i thought was pretty cool.

1979 short box chevy custom deluxe (project)

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
     It's getting harder to find the 73 - 74 grills with the 350/400 emblem in them.  I snatched a 350 out of a grill last week from pick-n-pull just because it was the first one I have seen around here.
     I am glad chris is selling them now, I will need one when I get that part on my build.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom

Offline PromiseKeeper

• Frequent Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
     If memory seves me right, some where in the 78'ish year they came out with a Bonanza was a package that they offered for a couple of years.   

Yep, there were even Bonanza fender emblems. My 80 VIN is on the dash too.
1980 C-10 2WD short & wide. 305 auto.

Offline RaymondPOwens

• New Users
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
the chevy bonanza was a trim package, much similar to the silverado or chyenne. the bonanza features wood and chrome trim packages, but was based from the existing trucks and SUV's of each decade. a lot of the bonanzas had the clock in the dash.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
This post is over a year old...  the links I provided explained it all.. 

It was a year end promotional sales incentive.  It was NOT a trim package.  It was based on the Z62 Trim package from 73-80 and on any trim level after that.

To keep it all together...
Bonanza special promotional grouping of options.  It was offered during the 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, and 1980 model years, and was typically offered during the final months of those model runs.  There were several packages (typically designated "A", "B", "C", etc., and respectively carrying increasing levels of included equipment) offered on a variety of truck models.  Equivalent packages were offered for GMC vehicles under the "Royal Sierra" designation.

With the exception of the 1980 model year, the packages for the pickups were based upon the Scottsdale trim package, and with the exception of carpeting and nameplates and discounted option prices, resembled other similarly optioned non-Bonanza Scottsdales offered during those years.

The specific packages for 1979 Chevy Big 10 pickups were as follows...

Package A (code YG6) included Scottsdale trim, Bonanza nameplates, color keyed carpets, striped vinyl bench seat, deluxe wheel covers, chrome grille, upper and lower bodyside moldings, clock and gauges, AM radio, inside hood release, automatic transmission, comfortilt steering wheel, intermittent windshield wipers.  The total savings for package A was $200.

Package B (code YG7) included all items for package A plus tinted glass, air conditioning, cargo lamp; package savings was $300.

Package C (code YG8)  included all items in packages A and B plus operating convenience group (power windows and door locks), speed and cruise control; package savings was $400.

Interestingly, the Scottsdale offered three different upholstery choices.  They were Custom Cloth, Custom Vinyl, and Striped Vinyl.  The Custom Cloth and Custom Vinyl options for non-Bonanza Scottsdales included a color-keyed rubber floor mat while the extra cost Striped Vinyl selection replaced the mat with carpeting.  The Bonanza default upholstery was the striped vinyl, but I believe the Custom Cloth and Custom Vinyl could also be specified for the Bonanza without forteiting the carpet.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 12:52:54 AM by Captkaos »