Author Topic: Still towable lowered stance  (Read 2262 times)

Offline 81-1ton

Still towable lowered stance
« on: April 11, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »
Truck is an 81 gmc c30 or c3500 (I've got contradicting info on which one it actually is) single cab dually. Looking to drop my dually. I'd love to do a 7/9 but still want a truck I can tow with. Any suggestions on set up? Quality of company's parts? Looking to keep about the same tire size and wheels that are on it but may end up with a set of 19.5s from an old bread truck. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 12:17:09 PM by 81-1ton »

Offline 85 CA SIERRA 1500

Re: Still towable lowered stance
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:59 AM »
Hi 81,,,
I.m one of the new guys here so I can't offer any specifics as far as parts on your C-30, but I do have a bit of trailering experience.
The key points to adhere to are that the trailer stays level meaning not riding coupler high or coupler low, either one will effect handling and can become a sway hazard plus the axles and brakes of the trailer are designed to operate best with a level trailer chassis.
The other key point is that your truck should ride level while towing. Nose high and tail low will negatively effect handling, put your headlights right in the eyes of oncoming traffic, etc...
You have not mentioned what kind of trailer you are towing, is it a conventional bumper hitch or a bed mounted like a gooseneck?
You can level out the squat in your truck with airbags or overload springs, being as you are going to lower your truck I would use air bags as opposed to overload or helper springs since you will have reduced axle travel.
If your trailer is a conventional pull then I would suggest a good receiver hitch so you can utilize an adjustable ball mount. If you are pulling a gooseneck or 5th wheel setup then the trailer can be leveled by adjusting the coupler on the trailer.
All the best,
Tracey>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 12:19:06 AM »
c30 would be chevy while c3500 would be GMC.
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Da67goatman

• Site Supporters
  • Burban
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:34 AM »
<Pitcrew>
1989 R2500 Suburban mild 350 TBI 700r4 10.5" 14bolt 4.10 w/ 33s
1992 fullsize Blazer 4x4  35s no lift, 4.10s, Hella driving lights, TJ Flares, Huge bumpers, Snorkel, custom interior

Offline 81-1ton

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
No specific trailer. But it would be a bumper/class 3 hitch pull. And thank you for the clarification on it being a c3500. I can still use c30 parts correct?

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:19:35 PM »
Yes it's all the same except for cosmetic stuff like some trim within the respected years
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes