Author Topic: turbo diesel 6.2 grease project  (Read 9519 times)

Offline NintendoKD

turbo diesel 6.2 grease project
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
I want to pull the orig 5.7 out of my 75' c-10 scottsdale and drop in a 6.2 and turbo it with a grease kit, to run both standard and grease diesel.  I have a couple of unique twists, I want to run a VGT or VNT style turbo, or a twin turbo setup with low boost, and a custom cam, and intake.  I already have a brand new th400 with a 2200 stall, and 3.73 rear gearing.  I really need it to haul and carry a load.  I have a lot of questions and hopefully some seasoned members can chime in.  I know the swap is simple, the motor mounts are the same, I know I need a bigger rad. I want to go electric fan, I am going to get some custom turbo headers and wrap em up, for the turbo portion of the build.  The engine is all in one package, so pretty simple, I am using the th400, but may eventually go with a built 700r4.  Why a 6.2?  I have one just lying around from another truck, My buddy swapped a big block in and gave me the old engine as payment.  I like the 6.2 "even thought of going with a flat plane crank", and it can make decent power reliably, and gets good economy, the parts are plentiful, the list goes on and on.  I have most of the things I need so far, but I want to do it on a budget "why would you do anything for more money than you have to?"  I have connections with the greasecar guys, so I should be good there.  I want to use poly mounts, I have my own reasons why, I don't have any fillings to rattle out so I'm not that worried about the vibration.  I will probably have a good machinist balance the entire rotating assy and do a check for longevity purposes.  Things I need help with are like pros cons of VGT, VNT, smaller twin turbo setup,  and general 6.2 performance advice, and perhaps pitfalls to avoid when installing the 6.2.

Thanks,

Kevin

Offline NintendoKD

Re: turbo diesel 6.2 grease project
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
found this:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/chevy/0554dp_62l_buildup/viewall.html
there is quite a bit of information.  My motor, I picked up for $500.00 and the turbo and manifolds for 500.00 so for the whole setup just 1k cash, I bet he will go lower.  The engine is a v-belt setup, from an 83, not from a later vehicle.  I will need to get new seals, and a new spring for the wastegate.  I will know more when I get it.  Is there anything I need to get for the tranny?  The intake mani and everything comes with it.   I wonder if I should get replacements, or just use these for the time being.  I want to put it together and get it running with what I have.  I know I'll need a new radiator as the dinky one I have will just not cut it.  I already have the poly mounts, as I understand things the mounting is the same.  correct me if I'm wrong here.

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 12:40:54 AM »
http://www.wi4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3010
even more info here:
looks like a new pulley "non-v-belt is in order, as well as an upgraded water pump, as well as rocker assy, and a harmonic balancer.  where to get said goodies?   any sped shops that cater their inventories toward IDI's?

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 01:48:30 AM »
Another question for the masters here, how hot do the exhaust gasses get?  I am curious.

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 11:21:07 PM »
so I picked up my 6.5 complete, with turbo, and radiator, also comes with A/C but I'll worry about that later.  I need to know if the torque converter and flexplate are different.  I got a new t-stat, exhaust mani gaskets, intake mani gaskets, water pump, belt, and associated gaskets for these components, as well as a new harmonic balancer and new glow plugs.  I am going to pull the engine from my scotty coming up tomorrow.  I will probably end up selling it with wrapped headers, on the forums classifieds.  I will have to inspect a lot on the truck to make sure that it is up to snuff for the diesel conversion, and am getting a new driveshaft for the rebuilt th400 that is going in.  Supposedly, these guys know what they are doing when they remove the engine, as I told them to leave the wiring harness intact for me to use.  I will take the mounts from the frame, that the truck it came from to put an SBC into my 54' plymouth, but that is another story for another time.

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:50:09 PM »
I guess the grease car mods are pretty straightforward.  Two separate lines from two separate tanks, and two separate pumps, the reason for this is to have a backup on either WVO or Diesel.  The premise is that bio, has the paraffin removed from it, where as WVO is basically just fryer oil that is unprocesed, but filtered.  It gets very viscous when it cools, so the trick is to heat it up so it will not gum up, and then purge it all out to prevent it from gelling in the lines.  This is accomplished by starting the engine on diesel, warming it up to a certain temperature, at which the veg oil is thin and ready to be used.  when the truck is to be shut down, the system is purged with regular diesel to flush the lines pump, and injectors etc. of veg oil to start the whole process again.

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
greasecar has a kit for this vehicle
http://www.greasecar.com/
and so do these guys, my buddy has a 7.3 f350 4X4 with one of these kits in it
http://www.biofuelstechnologies.com/
in terms of price and a custom kit, greasecar wins, but in terms of reliability, and survivability, the BFT kit wins
don't know about this one, but could be promising
http://www.plantdrive.com/
I am not endorsing here, I am just hoping for some advice, to be pointed in the right direction

Offline NintendoKD

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 02:40:46 AM »
Just in case anyone is wondering, I am getting a lot of help/information here, I have been reading the diesel section, just didn't want to double post and take up more room if it isn't important, I can find the answer.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 02:57:24 PM »
Can i ask where you got your 6.5?