Author Topic: dash light problems  (Read 8892 times)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
dash light problems
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
i been working on my 83 c10 silverado for a while now and now I'm working on my dash. recently i removed the dash and disassembled is to clean and also replaced the burned out light bulbs. i also found a circuit board for the back and replaced it too. the problem I'm having is that when i turn on my headlights my right turn signal light comes on a stays on. with the headlights off my right turn signal light blinks real fast when i turn the right turn signal on as well as other lights in the dash.my left turn signals stays on when i turn it on but I'm guessing its because the bulb is blown. also when i turn my 4ways on the whole dash blinks on and off the the flasher. don't wanna start replacing parts and i don't know whats going on. have some one ever ran into this problem. please help!!!
Gotta clean my back windshield cause I'm too busy kicking up dust

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: dash light problems
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 08:22:46 PM »
Check and verify you have good instrument cluster grounds.  Look at the image in this thread for an example...
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php/topic,23946.msg204292.html#msg204292

Welcome to the site.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:34 PM »
ok will look at it soon as daylight hits thanks!!!

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:22 PM »
in the picture exactly where is the ground is it up in the dash?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:51 PM »
Look where the ganglion of 'black' wires plug onto the silver bike rack (ground buss) directly below and behind the green module.  The buss and one additional 'black' wire bolt directly to the e-brake support (or cab sheet metal, depending on the assembly plant).
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
ok thanks will update in the morning

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
fixed the dash lights. had bad ground on the rear left tail light some bad body grounds. now i have another problem. nun of my warning lights or my gauges work. found the wiring diagram and want to know if splicing into the pink/black wire 39 which is on slot 4 on the connector for the dash and running a jumper wire to another ignition source would work or will my dash warning lights stay on constantly while driving? i just tried to do just that and all my gauges worked and all warning lights came on. just wanted to make sure it will not damage anything if i make leave it the way it is. please help and thanks in advance!!!

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
fixed the dash lights. had bad ground on the rear left tail light some bad body grounds....

"Floating grounds" will cause weird effects as current finds alternate paths and backfeeds adjacent circuits that share a common ground (that isn't, in fact, grounded).

...now i have another problem. nun of my warning lights or my gauges work. found the wiring diagram and want to know if splicing into the pink/black wire 39 which is on slot 4 on the connector for the dash and running a jumper wire to another ignition source would work or will my dash warning lights stay on constantly while driving? i just tried to do just that and all my gauges worked and all warning lights came on. just wanted to make sure it will not damage anything if i make leave it the way it is. please help and thanks in advance!!!

Did you check your fuses?
Rich

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:04:15 PM »
yes checked all fuses. all are good and are not blowing. just that one wire is dead that controls all the gauges and warning lights in dash

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
The problem with jumping power to a 'dead' circuit that should be 'live' is without knowing why the circuit is 'dead' you're running the risk of burning the vehicle to the ground.  Studying the wiring diagrams, the pnk/blk wire to which you refer should run to a splice in the harness common to other pnk/blk wires - then on to the fuse block.  Although it's a PITA, you should trace the wire to find out why it's dead then make the appropriate repair.
Rich

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
yeah will do in the morning i wish someone knew were the splice is located to save me alot of work. im going to see if i have power at the fuse and from there. just dnt wanna cut all the electrical tape and expose the whole wiring harness PITA

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »
alright fixed the problem. found an open spot at the splice. also found a short when i fixed the open as well as a blown fuse. now everything operates just like it's suppose to. thanks for all your help.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 02:00:55 PM »
AND, you have the peace of mind to know it's fixed correctly with no hidden problem lurking, waiting to strike!  Well done!!
Rich

Offline dieselman123

• Registered Users
  • professional
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 08:50:03 PM »
yea  i do have a peace of mind thanks for all your help

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »
You're welcome!
Rich