Author Topic: Turn Signal Fuse  (Read 5398 times)

Offline 77IndyStepside

Turn Signal Fuse
« on: June 18, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »
On my 77 GMC High Sierra Stepside - where in the under-dash fuse block is the fuse that powers the turn signals?  I see the large relay at the bottom - but my turn signals are not even getting power - so I think i have a fuse problem.  But cannot seem to find one marked as turn signals.  Thanks for the help.  Turn signals dont even light up let alone blink at this point.  Brake lights and running lights work fine in the rear. 

Online bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Turn Signal Fuse
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »
The fuse marked "B/U LPS - DIR SIG" is located near the bottom of the block.  Use a test light to probe both ends of the fuse with the ignition switched on.  Ignition power feeds the lower end of the fuse.  The upper end of the fuse connects to the directional signal flasher.  Over long periods, corrosion can accumulate between the fuse sockets and metal endcaps of the fuses.  When probing for power, always probe both the fuse socket clips and the endcaps of the fuses to verify good electrical connections between the fuses and their sockets.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 77IndyStepside

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 08:14:24 AM »
Thank you very much BD for that information - very helpful.  Will go check it out this afternoon and see if I do indeed have a bad fuse.

Much appreciated...

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:14:08 AM »
You are quite welcome....
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline 77IndyStepside

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 01:55:15 PM »
That did the trick BD - was definitely a bad fuse - people now know if I am turning right, left or going straight! 

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
Outstanding!
Rich

Offline 77IndyStepside

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 10:41:12 PM »
Hey BD - follow-up question.  I have blown through 2 more fuses today with my turn signals.  The fuse bank seems to indicate that its a 15 amp fuse for that position - but I'm burning those up - put a more heavy duty fuse in there or do I have a larger problem? 

Online bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 11:27:30 PM »
You need to figure out where the short is.  Remove the lower flasher near the DIR SIG fuse, install a new fuse and with the transmission in Park turn the ignition on.  Does the fuse blow?  Next, with the ignition still on, shift into Reverse.  Does the fuse blow?
Rich